Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Bruno Costacurta

Default popularity contest : not sending email via HTTP

Hello,

I installed and activated the popularity contest package
(note : goal of this package is to gather statistics about package
usage and report them to Debian).

Option http is activate to send the statistics (in place of email protocol).

cat /etc/popularity-contest.conf :
PARTICIPATE="yes"
USEHTTP="yes"

However mailer is complaining :

From MAILER-DAEMON Sat May 22 06:26:23 2010
...etc...

survey@popcon.debian.org
Mailing to remote domains not supported
...etc..

How to send email to popularity contest ?
Why is http not used ?

Thanks for help

Bye,
Bruno

--
Linux Counter #353844
http://counter.li.org/

Archive: 20100530225747.12801wolfxqxs500@webmail.costacurta .org">http://lists.debian.org/20100530225747.12801wolfxqxs500@webmail.costacurta .org

Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Alan Ianson

On Sun May 30 2010 01:57:47 pm Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed and activated the popularity contest package
> (note : goal of this package is to gather statistics about package
> usage and report them to Debian).
>
> Option http is activate to send the statistics (in place of email
> protocol).
>
> cat /etc/popularity-contest.conf :
> PARTICIPATE="yes"
> USEHTTP="yes"
>
> However mailer is complaining :
>
> From MAILER-DAEMON Sat May 22 06:26:23 2010
> ...etc...

> survey@popcon.debian.org
> Mailing to remote domains not supported
> ...etc..
>
> How to send email to popularity contest ?

Run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and set it up to use a smarthost, your
usual email smtp address will probably be ok.

> Why is http not used ?

That I don't know.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Bruno Costacurta

Hello,

How to send email to popularity contest ?

Run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and set it up to use a smarthost, your
usual email smtp address will probably be ok.

Sorry I forgot to mention that this system is not allowed to send email.
So there is no exim4.
This is why the HTTP option is implemented for on popularity contest
as indicated in man pages.

Bye,
Bruno

Archive: 20100531152737.80084lef8ys3kbcw@webmail.costacurta .org">http://lists.debian.org/20100531152737.80084lef8ys3kbcw@webmail.costacurta .org

Old 05-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Alan Ianson

On Mon May 31 2010 06:27:37 am Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> > Hello,

> >> How to send email to popularity contest ?
> >
> > Run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and set it up to use a smarthost,
> > your usual email smtp address will probably be ok.
>
> Sorry I forgot to mention that this system is not allowed to send email.
> So there is no exim4.

Shouldn't be a problem since popularity has been using http by default for
some time now.

> This is why the HTTP option is implemented for on popularity contest
> as indicated in man pages.

I'm not sure why it's trying to use email. AFAIK, mine has been using http and
I don't see any mention of survey@popcon.debian.org in exim's logs.