Old 05-30-2010, 05:16 AM
T o n g

Default Creating a (bootable) DOS floppy disk image

Hi,

How can I make a DOS floppy disk image under Linux?

[OT]
Moreover, my experience with DOS was back in stone age when you use

sys A:

to make it boot-able. Now with Win NT/XP etc, I hear that merely copying
ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini into it will make it boot-able. Anybody
know if it is true?
[/OT]

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 05-30-2010, 06:29 AM
Alan Ianson

On Sat May 29 2010 10:16:16 pm T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I make a DOS floppy disk image under Linux?

I haven't made a dos disk in ages but I think mkdosfs from the dosfstools
package will do this.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Greg Madden

On Saturday 29 May 2010 09:16:16 pm T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I make a DOS floppy disk image under Linux?
>
> [OT]
> Moreover, my experience with DOS was back in stone age when you use
>
> sys A:
>
> to make it boot-able. Now with Win NT/XP etc, I hear that merely copying
> ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini into it will make it boot-able. Anybody
> know if it is true?
> [/OT]
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/

There is the Freedos project for installing a DOS system, or the following might
be what you are looking for:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/balder/

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 05-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Howard Eisenberger

On 2010-05-30, T o n g wrote:

> How can I make a DOS floppy disk image under Linux?
>
> [OT]
> Moreover, my experience with DOS was back in stone age when you use
>
> sys A:
>
> to make it boot-able. Now with Win NT/XP etc, I hear that merely copying
> ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini into it will make it boot-able. Anybody
> know if it is true?
> [/OT]

Depends what you want to do with the floppy. I won't comment on
MS-Windows, but a single-disk FreeDOS floppy such as BALDER will
boot to FreeDOS with vfat but not ntfs.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/balder/

Regards,

Howard E.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-05-30 07:16 +0200, T o n g wrote:

> How can I make a DOS floppy disk image under Linux?

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=floppy-image bs=1440k count=1
$ /sbin/mkdosfs floppy-image

You need the dosfstools package for the latter command.

Sven