Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Michael Kjorling

Default Running KDE apps under GNOME

On May 29 2010 22:53 +0200, from Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be (Merciadri Luca):
> I have noticed that running KDE apps under GNOME takes a lot of time
> once I have not launched any such apps since the beginning of the
> session.

I believe this is normal. If you run the KDE application from within a
terminal, you should see a lot of support services being started
before the application actually launches.

--
Michael Kjörling .. michael@kjorling.se .. http://michael.kjorling.se
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *

Old 05-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Merciadri Luca

Old 05-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Michael Kjorling <michael@kjorling.se> writes:
>
> > On May 29 2010 22:53 +0200, from Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be (Merciadri Luca):
> >> I have noticed that running KDE apps under GNOME takes a lot of time
> >> once I have not launched any such apps since the beginning of the
> >> session.
> >
> > I believe this is normal. If you run the KDE application from within a
> > terminal, you should see a lot of support services being started
> > before the application actually launches.
> Yes. That's true. And can I make the whole process quicker?

Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
Gnome has something similar?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Merciadri Luca

Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

> Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
> Gnome has something similar?

I do not know. I've just tried to find such an option by Googling, but I
could not find any such option.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live
forever. (Mahatma Gandhi)

Old 05-30-2010, 12:44 PM
AG

On 30/05/10 12:44, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
Gnome has something similar?

I do not know. I've just tried to find such an option by Googling, but I
could not find any such option.

Merciadri, I think that the closest you will come to this under GNOME is
to do the following:

On the panel options, go to System/ Administration and then Services.
This will allow you to identify those services you want available to you
at start up. Not quite the same as the Xfce4 option Andrei mentioned,
but as close as you are likely to get with GNOME.

HTH ... a bit at least

AG

Archive: 4C025DBC.2060600@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C025DBC.2060600@gmail.com

Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Merciadri Luca

AG wrote:
> Merciadri, I think that the closest you will come to this under GNOME
> is to do the following:
>
> On the panel options, go to System/ Administration and then Services.
> This will allow you to identify those services you want available to
> you at start up. Not quite the same as the Xfce4 option Andrei
> mentioned, but as close as you are likely to get with GNOME.
Nice idea, but all the listed services (winbind, anacron, atd,
alsa-utils, nfs-kernel-server, samba, gdm, smartmontools, exim4,
fetchmail, avahi-daemon, acpid, rsync, ssh, dbus, apache2) are already
activated. :-(

P.S.: My surname is actually `Luca' but that does not matter. This is my
fault: I misconfigured the client some years ago, and then, to be
logical with my error, I kept with it.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:15 PM
David Jardine

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 04:00:39PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> P.S.: My surname is actually `Luca' but that does not matter. This is my
> fault: I misconfigured the client some years ago, and then, to be
> logical with my error, I kept with it.

Are you sure you mean "surname" (= family name)?

David

Old 06-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Bob McGowan

On 05/30/2010 04:44 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>

>> Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
>> Gnome has something similar?
>>
> I do not know. I've just tried to find such an option by Googling, but I
> could not find any such option.

I don't recall, offhand, and don't have access to a Gnome system to
check, but I think Gnome has an "auto start" function, similar to KDE's
using $HOME/.kde/Autostart to run apps you want available when you login.

Perhaps you could start a terminal, run the KDE app in the background
and do a ps to get the KDE related support services listed. You could
add these to the auto start list.

The only thing I don't know is if these 'support services' can start
stand alone or if a front end KDE app. is needed.

If this does work but things are still too slow, you might add a local
rc startup script in /etc/{init.d,rc2.d} to start the services at boot time.

None of this is tested, just some thoughts on alternate ways to get
things going.

--
Bob McGowan

Old 06-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Merciadri Luca

Bob McGowan wrote:
> On 05/30/2010 04:44 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>>

>>> Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
>>> Gnome has something similar?
>>>

>> I do not know. I've just tried to find such an option by Googling, but I
>> could not find any such option.
>>

> I don't recall, offhand, and don't have access to a Gnome system to
> check, but I think Gnome has an "auto start" function, similar to KDE's
> using $HOME/.kde/Autostart to run apps you want available when you login.
>
> Perhaps you could start a terminal, run the KDE app in the background
> and do a ps to get the KDE related support services listed. You could
> add these to the auto start list.
>
> The only thing I don't know is if these 'support services' can start
> stand alone or if a front end KDE app. is needed.
>
> If this does work but things are still too slow, you might add a local
> rc startup script in /etc/{init.d,rc2.d} to start the services at boot time.
>
> None of this is tested, just some thoughts on alternate ways to get
> things going.

Yes, but why not.

$ ps -el | grep kde
1 S 1000 4042 1 0 80 0 - 6385 - ? 00:00:00 kdeinit
1 S 1000 4050 1 0 80 0 - 8178 - ? 00:00:10 kded

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The difference between friendship and love is how much you can hurt each
other. (Ashleigh Brilliant)

Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Bob McGowan

On 06/01/2010 11:01 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Bob McGowan wrote:

<--deleted-->

> Yes, but why not.
>
> $ ps -el | grep kde
> 1 S 1000 4042 1 0 80 0 - 6385 - ? 00:00:00 kdeinit
> 1 S 1000 4050 1 0 80 0 - 8178 - ? 00:00:10 kded

Sure, whatever works. But it is possible that some portion of the
'service' does not have the string 'kde' in it.

Using my method, everything that got started would be listed (the diff
between the before and after ps output) and there'd be no doubt about
what was needed to run.

--
Bob McGowan