Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

Default Encrypted /tmp fails after recent kernel upgrade

After a recent kernel upgrade to 2.6.32-5-amd64, I now get the following
when trying to mount an encrypted /tmp with dev/mapper:

$ sudo mount /tmp
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/tmp,
dmesg | tail or so

The error is complaining about a missing ext2 filesystem, which
dev/mapper should be creating anyway:

May 28 16:34:23 deltani kernel: [ 294.183700] VFS: Can't find an
ext2 filesystem on dev dm-1.

The /etc/fstab file contains:

/dev/mapper/tmp /tmp ext2 nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0

The /etc/crypttab file contains:

tmp /dev/sda3 /dev/urandom tmp=ext2

An encrypted swap partition is being mounted the same way, more or
less, and is *not* failing with this error. What could be going on here,
and how can I fix it?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 05-29-2010, 08:01 AM

Le 14758ième jour après Epoch,
Todd A. Jacobs écrivait:

> After a recent kernel upgrade to 2.6.32-5-amd64, I now get the following
> when trying to mount an encrypted /tmp with dev/mapper:
>
> $ sudo mount /tmp
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/tmp,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so

Maybe bug #581203 [1].

swap is probably less impacted by this bug.

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=581203

Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Sebastian Ramacher

François TOURDE <fra-du <at> tourde.org> writes:
> Todd A. Jacobs écrivait:
> > After a recent kernel upgrade to 2.6.32-5-amd64, I now get the following
> > when trying to mount an encrypted /tmp with dev/mapper:
> >
> > $ sudo mount /tmp
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/tmp,
> > missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> > dmesg | tail or so
>
> Maybe bug #581203 [1].
>
> swap is probably less impacted by this bug.
>
> [1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=581203

No, seems to be a problem with recent upgrade of e2fsprogs to 1.41.12-1. Before
upgrading e2fsprogs yesterday everything worked fine for me.

Regards

Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 09:31:28AM +0000, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:

> No, seems to be a problem with recent upgrade of e2fsprogs to
> 1.41.12-1. Before upgrading e2fsprogs yesterday everything worked fine
> for me.

No, it's some other package. I remember seeing a message saying that
some boot utility needed to change all /etc/fstab entries from devices
to UUIDs or LABELs.

An encrypted /tmp partition won't have either, nor will it be marked
specially in the partition table the way swap partitions are. So, I'm
thinking that the /dev/mapper/tmp entry in fstab isn't being properly
acted upon somehow.

Does anyone know what package is making this change, so that I can file
a bug against the correct package?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Sebastian Ramacher

Todd A. Jacobs <nospam <at> codegnome.org> writes:
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 09:31:28AM +0000, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> No, it's some other package. I remember seeing a message saying that
> some boot utility needed to change all /etc/fstab entries from devices
> to UUIDs or LABELs.
>
> An encrypted /tmp partition won't have either, nor will it be marked
> specially in the partition table the way swap partitions are. So, I'm
> thinking that the /dev/mapper/tmp entry in fstab isn't being properly
> acted upon somehow.

Changing /tmp's filesystem to xfs fixed it for me, so you may want to try that.
I hadn't any problems with the changes in /etc/fstab.

> Does anyone know what package is making this change, so that I can file
> a bug against the correct package?

base-files, IIRC.

Regards