Old 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Ron Johnson

Default is firewire broken in Debain?

On 05/28/2010 12:53 PM, H.S. wrote:

I used to grab video from my DCR TVR25 MiniDV camcorder without any
problems in the past on Debian Testing using Kino or dvgrab. Since some
kernel version and up, this has not been possible anymore.

I am now using Debian Testing, KDE and kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686.

I see that firewire is now handled differently in the kernel and that
/dev/fw? devices are formed instead of /dev/raw1394. Since Kino demands
the latter, I have created a symbolic link /dev/raw1394 to /dev/fw0 (or
fw1, as the case may be).

I have these modules loaded:
$> lsmod | grep fire
firewire_sbp2 9575 0
firewire_net 9181 0
firewire_ohci 16477 0
firewire_core 30915 3 firewire_sbp2,firewire_net,firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t 1035 1 firewire_core
scsi_mod 101073 3 firewire_sbp2,sr_mod,libata

When I connect the DV camera to the firewire port, I get these error

[snip]

46:19 krnl [ 2432.443191] firewire_ohci: isochronous cycle inconsistent

Kino still doesn't work, I complains that raw1394 module is not
available. But those isochronous error message still trouble me. Anybody
now what is going on? How is one supposed to get around this problem?

I think that the "old" Firewire stack is still in the kernel.

Googling "linux howto use old firewire stack", I found this link
which might help:

http://www.kdenlive.org/user-manual/troubleshooting-and-common-problems/troubleshooting-firewire-capture

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Archive: 4C000809.3000206@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C000809.3000206@cox.net

Old 05-28-2010, 06:30 PM
"H.S."

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 12:53 PM, H.S. wrote:
>> I used to grab video from my DCR TVR25 MiniDV camcorder without any
>> problems in the past on Debian Testing using Kino or dvgrab. Since some
>> kernel version and up, this has not been possible anymore.
>>
>> I am now using Debian Testing, KDE and kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686.
>>
>> I see that firewire is now handled differently in the kernel and that
>> /dev/fw? devices are formed instead of /dev/raw1394. Since Kino demands
>> the latter, I have created a symbolic link /dev/raw1394 to /dev/fw0 (or
>> fw1, as the case may be).
>>
>> I have these modules loaded:
>> $> lsmod | grep fire
>> firewire_sbp2 9575 0
>> firewire_net 9181 0
>> firewire_ohci 16477 0
>> firewire_core 30915 3 firewire_sbp2,firewire_net,firewire_ohci
>> crc_itu_t 1035 1 firewire_core
>> scsi_mod 101073 3 firewire_sbp2,sr_mod,libata
>>

>> When I connect the DV camera to the firewire port, I get these error
> [snip]
>> 46:19 krnl [ 2432.443191] firewire_ohci: isochronous cycle inconsistent
>>

>> Kino still doesn't work, I complains that raw1394 module is not
>> available. But those isochronous error message still trouble me. Anybody
>> now what is going on? How is one supposed to get around this problem?
>>

> I think that the "old" Firewire stack is still in the kernel.
>
> Googling "linux howto use old firewire stack", I found this link which
> might help:
>
> http://www.kdenlive.org/user-manual/troubleshooting-and-common-problems/troubleshooting-firewire-capture

Thanks for the link. I had missed this one somehow while searching for a
solution.

If understand the information given on the link properly, it shows two
scenarios, one if the user has the older firewire stack and the second
for the newer one, and that either one is supposed to work. I have the
newer one. I have the permissions set up properly as the link describes
using udev rules file.

As described in the link, if I run dvgrab -i command with the camera
connected. the camera does something, but the output just gives error on
the command prompt:
$> dvgrab -i
Found AV/C device with GUID 0x08004601024aca36
Going interactive. Press '?' for help.
send oopsPaused" 00:09:09:17 "" sec

send oops

send oops
send oops
send oops
send oops--:-- "" sec
send oops
send oops
send oops
send oops
send oops--:-- "" sec
.
.
and so on
.
.

ever having been read.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 PM
"H.S."

Ron Johnson wrote:

> I think that the "old" Firewire stack is still in the kernel.
>
> Googling "linux howto use old firewire stack", I found this link which
> might help:
>
> http://www.kdenlive.org/user-manual/troubleshooting-and-common-problems/troubleshooting-firewire-capture

BTW, regarding the older stack, I don't seem to have it in my current
kernel anymore (debian default kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686):

Only older kernel has 1394 related modules:
$> find /lib/modules/ -name "*1394*"
/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394
/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/video1394.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/dv1394.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/eth1394.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/ieee1394.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/ohci1394.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko

Only the newer kernel has the newer firewire stack:
$> find /lib/modules/ -name "*firew*"
/lib/modules/2.6.32-trunk-686/kernel/drivers/firewire
/lib/modules/2.6.32-trunk-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-sbp2.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-trunk-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-net.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-trunk-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-core.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-trunk-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-ohci.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.30-2-686/kernel/drivers/firewire
/lib/modules/2.6.30-2-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-ohci.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.30-2-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-sbp2.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.30-2-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-core.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-3-686/kernel/drivers/firewire
/lib/modules/2.6.32-3-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-ohci.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-3-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-sbp2.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-3-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-core.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-3-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-net.ko

Looks like I have no choice in the default kernel in Debian Testing

ever having been read.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Ron Johnson

I think that the "old" Firewire stack is still in the kernel.

Googling "linux howto use old firewire stack", I found this link which
might help:

http://www.kdenlive.org/user-manual/troubleshooting-and-common-problems/troubleshooting-firewire-capture

BTW, regarding the older stack, I don't seem to have it in my current
kernel anymore (debian default kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686):

Only older kernel has 1394 related modules:
$> find /lib/modules/ -name "*1394*"
/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394

[snip]

/lib/modules/2.6.32-3-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-net.ko

Looks like I have no choice in the default kernel in Debian Testing

You could always roll your own kernel!

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Archive: 4C002A38.1050405@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C002A38.1050405@cox.net

Old 05-29-2010, 01:37 AM
"H.S."

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 01:43 PM, H.S. wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that the "old" Firewire stack is still in the kernel.
>>>
>>> Googling "linux howto use old firewire stack", I found this link which
>>> might help:
>>>
>>> http://www.kdenlive.org/user-manual/troubleshooting-and-common-problems/troubleshooting-firewire-capture
>>>

>> BTW, regarding the older stack, I don't seem to have it in my current
>> kernel anymore (debian default kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686):
>>
>> Only older kernel has 1394 related modules:
>> $> find /lib/modules/ -name "*1394*"
>> /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394
> [snip]
>> /lib/modules/2.6.32-3-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-net.ko
>>
>> Looks like I have no choice in the default kernel in Debian Testing
>>

> You could always roll your own kernel!

Yes, I could. I have done in the past and so it is not that new a
territory. However, this appears to be a continuing fiasco, unless I am
doing something wrong. In this day and age, I should have not roll a new
kernel for this kind of a problem. I mean, who in their right mind would
think "Ah! Forget the firewire problem, people can compile their own
kernel."?

Also, you seem to imply that I should roll my own kernel and include the
older firewire stack. I would rather I see why the newer one is not
working. It is supposed to work, right? If not, then it beats the
purpose! It appears to have matured quite a bit that the devs thought of
discarding the older one from the compiled kernels.

I have verified the same camcorder and the same cable on a Macbook Pro
and the camera is detected properly and the video is grabbed without any
problems; so the hardware is working properly. I have also tried the
same cable and camcorder on different machine running Debian Linux, no
luck. Debian appears to be broken in this respect. But it was not so in
the past. Kino used to work, dvgrab used to work. In fact, dvgrab has
saved me trouble time and again, it was that robust. I have never had
this much trouble to get firewire working ... and it is not over yet!

So, let me pose this question a bit differently. In today's Debian
Testing, is there anyone here who has successfully grabbed dv video from
a MiniDV camcorder at all using the newer firewire stack? And on a
related note, is there anyone here who had trouble and was able to
recompile the current Debian kernel to get this setup working?

ever having been read.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Stefano Rivera

Hi H.S. (2010.05.29_03:37:19_+0200)
> In today's Debian Testing, is there anyone here who has successfully
> grabbed dv video from a MiniDV camcorder at all using the newer
> firewire stack?

Yes. I have had some trouble with it (dvgrab refusing to find the
camera), but I blamed that on the camera. Unplugging and re-plugging in
the firewire cable tended to do the trick.

There was a point when I couldn't get dvgrab to work, but it worked
every time when I ran it under strace, so there could be timing issues.

Unfortunately, I can only give these anecdotes and can't really help
you, the DV camera was stolen last week and I don't think I'll get
another one.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
http://tumbleweed.org.za/

Old 05-29-2010, 05:38 PM
"H.S."

Stefano Rivera wrote:
> Hi H.S. (2010.05.29_03:37:19_+0200)
>> In today's Debian Testing, is there anyone here who has successfully
>> grabbed dv video from a MiniDV camcorder at all using the newer
>> firewire stack?
>
> Yes. I have had some trouble with it (dvgrab refusing to find the
> camera), but I blamed that on the camera. Unplugging and re-plugging in
> the firewire cable tended to do the trick.

Well, that doesn't sound very encouraging.

> There was a point when I couldn't get dvgrab to work, but it worked
> every time when I ran it under strace, so there could be timing issues.

No luck here with this either.

> Unfortunately, I can only give these anecdotes and can't really help
> you, the DV camera was stolen last week and I don't think I'll get
> another one.

Sorry about that. What a shame.

This 'problem' has been around for at least 1.5 years, as far as I can
remember. I couldn't even find a list of hardware that the newer stack
explicitly does not work on.

ever having been read.