Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
"H.S."

Default file transfer from removable flash memory: time stamps and case

Hello.

When I copy files from a flash memory (inserted in a USB card reader) to
my Testing desktop, I notice that the filenames are upper case and the
time stamp of the transferred files is the time they were transferred
and not when they were originally created.

How do I avoid these and get lower case filenames and original
timestamps? The flash memories are all vfat.

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Daniel Barclay

H.S. wrote:

When I copy files from a flash memory (inserted in a USB card reader) to
my Testing desktop, I notice that the filenames are upper case and the
time stamp of the transferred files is the time they were transferred
and not when they were originally created.

How do I avoid these and get lower case filenames and original
timestamps? The flash memories are all vfat.

1. Add the option "shortname=winnt" (or maybe some other "shortname="
values (see the manual page for the "mount" command)) to your mount
options (in /etc/fstab, your command line, or whatever on your system
mounts the filesystem on the flash memory).

2. If you're using the "cp" command to copy, consider the "-p" or "-a"
options. Since you're probably dragging and dropping in a file
manager, you'll have to find that file manager's equivalent of
cp's -p and/or -a.

Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]

Archive: 4BFFFAE4.6030904@fgm.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BFFFAE4.6030904@fgm.com

Old 05-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 28 May 2010 12:50:15 -0400, H.S. wrote:

> When I copy files from a flash memory (inserted in a USB card reader) to
> my Testing desktop, I notice that the filenames are upper case and the
> time stamp of the transferred files is the time they were transferred
> and not when they were originally created.
>
> How do I avoid these and get lower case filenames and original
> timestamps? The flash memories are all vfat.

As per "filename case", if you are running GNOME you can tweak that under
"start/system tools/configuration editor" and navigate to "system/storage/
default_options/vfat" then set the value "mount_options" to
[shortname=lower,uid=] that will cause all the files, despite their
original case, to be transformed into lower case.

OTOH, I see the right time stamp for the copied files :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-28-2010, 05:30 PM
"H.S."

Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2010 12:50:15 -0400, H.S. wrote:
>
>> When I copy files from a flash memory (inserted in a USB card reader) to
>> my Testing desktop, I notice that the filenames are upper case and the
>> time stamp of the transferred files is the time they were transferred
>> and not when they were originally created.
>>
>> How do I avoid these and get lower case filenames and original
>> timestamps? The flash memories are all vfat.
>
> As per "filename case", if you are running GNOME you can tweak that under
> "start/system tools/configuration editor" and navigate to "system/storage/
> default_options/vfat" then set the value "mount_options" to
> [shortname=lower,uid=] that will cause all the files, despite their
> original case, to be transformed into lower case.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am using KDE on Debian Testing.

> OTOH, I see the right time stamp for the copied files :-?

hmm ... that is strange. I will check again. I notice that in case of
audio files from an mp3 player (which when plugged in the USB port acts
as a flash memory) are all of the same time when they were actually
transferred. I will try again though.

ever having been read.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 PM
"H.S."

Daniel Barclay wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> When I copy files from a flash memory (inserted in a USB card reader) to
>> my Testing desktop, I notice that the filenames are upper case and the
>> time stamp of the transferred files is the time they were transferred
>> and not when they were originally created.
>>
>> How do I avoid these and get lower case filenames and original
>> timestamps? The flash memories are all vfat.
>
> 1. Add the option "shortname=winnt" (or maybe some other "shortname="
> values (see the manual page for the "mount" command)) to your mount
> options (in /etc/fstab, your command line, or whatever on your system
> mounts the filesystem on the flash memory).

Okay, I will try to search how this option is related to KDE.

> 2. If you're using the "cp" command to copy, consider the "-p" or "-a"
> options. Since you're probably dragging and dropping in a file
> manager, you'll have to find that file manager's equivalent of
> cp's -p and/or -a.

Yes, I am using Dolphin for the drag and drop. If I can't find the
equivalent of "-p" or "-a" of cp commands in Dolphin, I think using cp
on cli might be the next option.

Thanks.

ever having been read.