Old 05-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Paul Chany

Default Ugrade from Lenny to Squeeze on old PC Box - fsck died with exit status 8

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> On 2010-05-28 09:26 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
>
>> Checking file systems...fsck from util-linux-ng 2.16.2
>> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda6
>
> The new kernel is probably using libata instead of the old IDE drivers,
> which means that your hard disk is called /dev/sda rather than /dev/hda.
> You should use labels or UUIDs in /etc/fstab if you want to use both the
> old and the new kernel. The linux-base package from sid can help you
> with the conversion.

I want to use only the newest kernel version 2.6.32-3-486.
What can I do in this case?

Paul Chany
You can freely correct my English.
http://csanyi-pal.info

Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri,28.May.10, 10:07:38, Paul Chany wrote:
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:
> >
> > The new kernel is probably using libata instead of the old IDE drivers,
> > which means that your hard disk is called /dev/sda rather than /dev/hda.
> > You should use labels or UUIDs in /etc/fstab if you want to use both the
> > old and the new kernel. The linux-base package from sid can help you
> > with the conversion.
>
> I want to use only the newest kernel version 2.6.32-3-486.
> What can I do in this case?

It might be enough to replace all instances of hdaX with the
corresponding sdaX, but UUID or labels are much safer anyway. I think
linux-base (pointed out by Sven) will even automate (most of) the
transition.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Paul Chany

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri,28.May.10, 10:07:38, Paul Chany wrote:
>> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:
>> >
>> > The new kernel is probably using libata instead of the old IDE drivers,
>> > which means that your hard disk is called /dev/sda rather than /dev/hda.
>> > You should use labels or UUIDs in /etc/fstab if you want to use both the
>> > old and the new kernel. The linux-base package from sid can help you
>> > with the conversion.
>>
>> I want to use only the newest kernel version 2.6.32-3-486.
>> What can I do in this case?
>
> It might be enough to replace all instances of hdaX with the
> corresponding sdaX, but UUID or labels are much safer anyway. I think
> linux-base (pointed out by Sven) will even automate (most of) the
> transition.

If I change in fstab all instances of hdaX to sdaX and after reboot
can't get the running system it would be bad. In that case shall I have
the opportunity to fix the problem?

On Squeeze how can i install linux-base package from SID?
(Sorry, this should be another threade..)

Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 28 May 2010 10:30:03 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:

> Andrei Popescu writes:
>
>> It might be enough to replace all instances of hdaX with the
>> corresponding sdaX, but UUID or labels are much safer anyway. I think
>> linux-base (pointed out by Sven) will even automate (most of) the
>> transition.
>
> If I change in fstab all instances of hdaX to sdaX and after reboot
> can't get the running system it would be bad. In that case shall I have
> the opportunity to fix the problem?

You can boot from a LiveCD and make any changes from there.

You have a LiveCD at your side, right? It's a "must have" >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-05-28 10:30 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:

> If I change in fstab all instances of hdaX to sdaX and after reboot
> can't get the running system it would be bad. In that case shall I have
> the opportunity to fix the problem?

It is always a good idea to have a rescue disk at hand.

> On Squeeze how can i install linux-base package from SID?

Get it from packages.debian.org if you don't want an entry for sid in
your sources.list. You have to install the libuuid-perl and
libapt-pkg-perl packages, since linux-base depends on them.

Sven

Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Paul Chany put forth on 5/28/2010 3:30 AM:

> If I change in fstab all instances of hdaX to sdaX and after reboot
> can't get the running system it would be bad. In that case shall I have
> the opportunity to fix the problem?

AFAICT, it will only be a problem if you try to boot your old Lenny 2.6.26
kernel after you change /etc/fstab. If you boot the 2.6.32 kernel (and later
ones as you update them) from now on you shouldn't have any problems.

I did something almost identical not long ago when I switched from the piix
IDE driver to libata. I had to change all the fstab entries to /dev/sdX. The
only difference between what I did and what you're doing is that I'm using
custom kernels built from kernel.org source.

> On Squeeze how can i install linux-base package from SID?
> (Sorry, this should be another threade..)

You don't need to worry about that now. Just change your fstab entries and
that should fix it.

--
Stan

Old 05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Paul Chany

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> On 2010-05-28 10:30 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
>
>> On Squeeze how can i install linux-base package from SID?
>
> Get it from packages.debian.org if you don't want an entry for sid in
> your sources.list. You have to install the libuuid-perl and
> libapt-pkg-perl packages, since linux-base depends on them.

I did so and install linux-base and have changed UUID's and labels in
fstab and grub.

I think it's safer to create first a Live Debian on USB stick before
reboot, right?

Old 05-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Celejar

Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> >> I want to use only the newest kernel version 2.6.32-3-486.
> >> What can I do in this case?
> >
> > It might be enough to replace all instances of hdaX with the
> > corresponding sdaX, but UUID or labels are much safer anyway. I think
> > linux-base (pointed out by Sven) will even automate (most of) the
> > transition.
>
> If I change in fstab all instances of hdaX to sdaX and after reboot
> can't get the running system it would be bad. In that case shall I have
> the opportunity to fix the problem?

Just FTR, since I think you've posted that your transition worked,
there are a couple of other places that need to be checked for hdaX
references, e.g., if you're using crytpsetup / luks, "/etc/crypttab"
and your bootloader configuration (if you're using kernel options such
as cryptopts=source=hdaX).

Celejar

Old 05-31-2010, 05:39 AM
Paul Chany

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 28 May 2010 10:30:03 +0200
> Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

>> > It might be enough to replace all instances of hdaX with the
>> > corresponding sdaX, but UUID or labels are much safer anyway. I think
>> > linux-base (pointed out by Sven) will even automate (most of) the
>> > transition.
>>
>> If I change in fstab all instances of hdaX to sdaX and after reboot
>> can't get the running system it would be bad. In that case shall I have
>> the opportunity to fix the problem?
>
> Just FTR, since I think you've posted that your transition worked,
> there are a couple of other places that need to be checked for hdaX
> references, e.g., if you're using crytpsetup / luks, "/etc/crypttab"
> and your bootloader configuration (if you're using kernel options such
> as cryptopts=source=hdaX).

Yes my transition worked but I was thinking about that that whether I
can to return to the previous state when not using neither UUID's nor
labels in fstab because I shall feel better then?

Now I don't know how to mount my USB Stick because line in fstab don't
works:
/dev/sda1 /media/usb0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

I must install usbmount to can use USB Stick.

If I can to return back to previous state of fstab than I shall change
in fstab all instances of hdaX to sdaX.

Hovewer I don't use cryptsetup. I find nothing in config-2.6.32-3-486
when search for 'hda'.