Old 05-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Sthu Deus

Default IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported

Good day.

I can not print on Epson matrix printer LQ100 after upgrade of some
package using testing repo.

# cat /var/log/cups/error_log
E [<date>] Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for
Send-Document ipp://localhost:631/printers/Epson-LQ100) from localhost

What should I do in order to fix the problem?

For instance, $ dpkg -l |grep cups
cups 1.4.3-1
cups-client 1.4.3-1
cups-common 1.4.3-1
libcups2 1.4.3-1
libcupscgi1 1.4.3-1
libcupsdriver1 1.4.3-1
libcupsimage2 1.4.3-1
libcupsmime1 1.4.3-1
libcupsppdc1 1.4.3-1

Thank You for Your time.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 28 May 2010 14:53:50 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> I can not print on Epson matrix printer LQ100 after upgrade of some
> package using testing repo.

(...)

Have you tried to purge and reinstall cups packages again?

I know is a bit drastic measure but it usually works.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

> Have you tried to purge and reinstall cups packages again?

Yes, I have... The very same log error I see.

Could You please explain what does this mean:

IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Send-Document

what offers the the document format?

Is this correct permissions:

/var/cache/cups# ls -l
total 16483
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 630 Jun 7 03:12 Epson-LQ100.ipp
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 294 Jun 7 15:46 job.cache
-rw------- 1 lp lp 16807004 Jun 7 03:12 ppds.dat
drwxrwxr-x 2 root lp 1024 Apr 9 21:27 rss

?

From kate running under root I see this error:

A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

cupsdoprint -P 'Epson-LQ100' -J 'Untitled' -H
'/var/run/cups/cups.sock:631' -U 'root' -o ' copies=1
multiple-document-handling=separate-documents-collated-copies
orientation-requested=3' '/tmp/kde-user/kdeprint_XiSVkn4I' :
execution failed with message: client-error-not-authorized

Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:04:50 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> Have you tried to purge and reinstall cups packages again?
>
> Yes, I have... The very same log error I see.
>
> Could You please explain what does this mean:
>
> IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Send-Document

Without context, I couldn't say :-?

> what offers the the document format?
>
> Is this correct permissions:
>
> /var/cache/cups# ls -l
> total 16483
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 630 Jun 7 03:12 Epson-LQ100.ipp
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 294 Jun 7 15:46 job.cache
> -rw------- 1 lp lp 16807004 Jun 7 03:12 ppds.dat
> drwxrwxr-x 2 root lp 1024 Apr 9 21:27 rss

I've got this:

sm01@stt008:/var/cache/cups$ ls -l
total 5818
-rw------- 1 lp lp 102201 mar 14 19:05 help.index
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 32467 jun 7 08:06 job.cache
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 48 nov 6 2009 ppd
-rw------- 1 lp lp 5810172 mar 16 12:12 ppds.dat
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 75 jun 7 08:06 remote.cache
drwxrwxr-x 2 root lp 48 nov 6 2009 rss

Not sure if that helps :-?

> From kate running under root I see this error:
>
> A print error occurred. Error message received from system:
>
> cupsdoprint -P 'Epson-LQ100' -J 'Untitled' -H
> '/var/run/cups/cups.sock:631' -U 'root' -o ' copies=1
> multiple-document-handling=separate-documents-collated-copies
> orientation-requested=3' '/tmp/kde-user/kdeprint_XiSVkn4I' : execution
> failed with message: client-error-not-authorized

"client-error-not-authorized" has more sense to me.

Review the full Cups log (/var/log/cups/error.log). If still nothing
interesting there, increase log verbosity ("LogLevel warning") and
restart cups service.

Also, test with another generic "dot matrix" driver.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

> Without context, I couldn't say :-?

If You mean file being printed then it just several characters from
kate or OO.writer in utf8 encoding.

> sm01@stt008:/var/cache/cups$ ls -l
> -rw------- 1 lp lp 5810172 mar 16 12:12 ppds.dat

What do You have in ppds.dat, or may You know from whence it comes?

> > cupsdoprint -P 'Epson-LQ100' -J 'Untitled' -H
> > '/var/run/cups/cups.sock:631' -U 'root' -o ' copies=1
> > multiple-document-handling=separate-documents-collated-copies
> > orientation-requested=3' '/tmp/kde-user/kdeprint_XiSVkn4I' :
> > execution failed with message: client-error-not-authorized

> "client-error-not-authorized" has more sense to me.

I do not believe the error is correct at least in common sense, as I
can easily send to the device directly from command line and it prints.
If speak about cups permissions - then the user is in the list of
allowed users...

> Review the full Cups log (/var/log/cups/error.log). If still nothing
> interesting there, increase log verbosity ("LogLevel warning") and
> restart cups service.

Well. Now I have installed cups-driver-gutenprint and ghostscript-cups
and to my astonishment, the error changed to this:

(/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb) crashed on signal 11!
(/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoepson) crashed on signal 13!
envp[23]="DEVICE_URI=usb://unknown/"
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Epson-LQ100.ppd

When it worked, I believe, the device was called /dev/usb/lp0, but now
- lp1. - May this is the culprit but I do not know how/where to change
it.

In system-config-printer of KDE's printer configuration utility, I do
not see the appropriate connection/device option - no usb for lpt.

> Also, test with another generic "dot matrix" driver.

I have no such possibility...