Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default Dependency based boot sequence conversion

Hi,

I just finished a dist-upgrade (1107 packages) and found out that Sid is
moving (has moved?) to a dependency based boot sequence.

That explains why the prior dist-upgrade was a failure because the
partition became unbootable. I since overlaid that partition so I cannot
research whether insserv was involved or not, but what happened is the
boot sequence in /etc/rc<x>.d was altered by something and you could not
boot anymore. It felt unsafe to proceed so I abandoned the upgrade.

This time luck would have it that:

dpkg: considering deconfiguration of sysv-rc, which would be broken by
installation of insserv ...

dpkg: yes, will deconfigure sysv-rc (broken by insserv).

and

Setting up sysv-rc (2.88dsf-5) ...
info: Checking if it is safe to convert to dependency based boot.

error: Unable to migrate to dependency based boot sequencing.
error: Problems detected:

So I have corrected the errors but before I commit myself with
'dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc' I want to know what the new boot sequence
*will look like*.

I have looked at the dependency graph per
http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot
but that is too unwieldy: it doesn't fit the screen and doesn't answer
my question:

What will the boot sequence be when I convert?

Anybody know how to wring that out of insserv?

Hugo