Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Lisi

Default Blockage on Internet maps - is a firewall intervening? Was: PART DIAGNOSED: Trying to install Google Earth on Lenny. How on earth??????

On Tuesday 25 May 2010 01:44:44 godo wrote:
> > It is, at least in part, due to a problem on my box. I had been
> > installing Fedora on another box and when it finished I tried Google maps
> > - and bingo! So it is neither me nor my router, but my box. I clearly
> > have to solve this, but not tonight.

I am running a more or less vanilla Lenny and KDE 3.5.10 on my Desktop. I
have now tried on my husband's desktop, and that too is fine for maps etc.,
and he has vanilla Lenny with KDE 3.5.10. So the problem is confined to my
own desktop. I have been ruminating on it, and think it just possible that I
have found the root of the problem.

I had recently downloaded three firewall applications, Shorewall, Firehol and
Fwbuilder, to see whether, by looking at them and reading their helpfiles, I
could get past my woeful ignorance of firewalls. I had not so far done
anything at all with them, let alone tried to use them, not even, until last
night, looked at them. But Firehol is complaining when I boot up that some
config file or other that it uses is not yet configured. I don't have time
to read the message properly as it flashes past, but it is marked as an error
during the booting process.

So it looks as tho' at least Firehol is trying to do something. Could this
therefore be the problem? As I say, my ignorance on the topic of firewalls
is distressingly abysmal. :-( I am at a loss to know where to start or what
to look at, or even what question to ask Google. I could obviously purge all
of them and see if that solved the problem, but am afraid that purging them
would not totally remove every trace, and therefore might make things
worse. :-( And I still need to learn about firewalls.

I would value, and be very grateful for, any advice on the best procedure to
follow - or what FM to read - _before_ I manage to kybosh my entire system,
rather than after.

Thanks,
Lisi

Old 05-27-2010, 05:01 PM
deloptes

Lisi wrote:

> worse. :-( And I still need to learn about firewalls.
>
> I would value, and be very grateful for, any advice on the best procedure
> to follow - or what FM to read - _before_ I manage to kybosh my entire
> system, rather than after.
>
> Thanks,
> Lisi

google earth required GL and it's disabled or not supported in some graphic
cards - check in this direction - do both notebooks have the same or alike
graphic cards - is GL (DRI/DRM) enabled?
On my notebook it's working with one display but noth when I use 2

(I didn't follow the hole topic (sorry))

regards

Old 05-30-2010, 04:27 AM
godo

Hi,

But Firehol is complaining when I boot up that some
config file or other that it uses is not yet configured. I don't have time
to read the message properly as it flashes past, but it is marked as an error
during the booting process.

Can you maybe find that message in /var/log/syslog
or somewhere in /var/log/ or dmesg?

So it looks as tho' at least Firehol is trying to do something. Could this
therefore be the problem? As I say, my ignorance on the topic of firewalls
is distressingly abysmal. :-( I am at a loss to know where to start or what
to look at, or even what question to ask Google. I could obviously purge all
of them and see if that solved the problem, but am afraid that purging them
would not totally remove every trace, and therefore might make things
worse. :-( And I still need to learn about firewalls.

I would value, and be very grateful for, any advice on the best procedure to
follow - or what FM to read - _before_ I manage to kybosh my entire system,
rather than after.

Thanks,
Lisi

I really don't anything about firewalls but if I correct understud what
I was read on the net Firehol corresponding with iptables.

'iptables -L' will list all rules so maybe somebody from the list will
notice something.

On this site http://pwet.fr/man/linux/administration_systeme/firehol is
written:
'firehol stop' "Stops a running iptables firewall by running
CW/etc/init.d/iptables stop. This will allow all traffic to pass unchecked."

So you can stop him and check is it problem in him or somewhere else.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Archive: 4C01E93C.7000201@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C01E93C.7000201@dobosevic.com

Old 05-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Lisi

On Sunday 30 May 2010 05:27:40 godo wrote:
> Hi,

Hi, Goran, and many thanks for your reply.

> > But Firehol is complaining when I boot up that some
> > config file or other that it uses is not yet configured. I don't have
> > time to read the message properly as it flashes past, but it is marked as
> > an error during the booting process.
>
> Can you maybe find that message in /var/log/syslog
> or somewhere in /var/log/ or dmesg?

The only part that seemed in any way related was:
[ 0.290385] IP route cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
[ 0.290652] TCP established hash table entries: 16384 (order: 5, 131072
bytes)
[ 0.290860] TCP bind hash table entries: 16384 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
[ 0.291064] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 16384 bind 16384)
[ 0.291068] TCP reno registered
[ 0.291201] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[ 0.291350] checking if image is initramfs... it is

> > So it looks as tho' at least Firehol is trying to do something. Could
> > this therefore be the problem? As I say, my ignorance on the topic of
> > firewalls is distressingly abysmal. :-( I am at a loss to know where to
> > start or what to look at, or even what question to ask Google.
>
> I really don't anything about firewalls but if I correct understud what
> I was read on the net Firehol corresponding with iptables.
>
> 'iptables -L' will list all rules so maybe somebody from the list will
> notice something.

Tux:/home/lisi# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Tux:/home/lisi#

> On this site http://pwet.fr/man/linux/administration_systeme/firehol is
> written:
> 'firehol stop' "Stops a running iptables firewall by running
> CW/etc/init.d/iptables stop. This will allow all traffic to pass
> unchecked."
>
> So you can stop him and check is it problem in him or somewhere else.

Tux:/home/lisi# firehol stop

WARNING
File '/etc/firehol/RESERVED_IPS' is more than 90 days old.
You should update it to ensure proper operation of your firewall.

Run the supplied get-iana script to generate this file.

FireHOL: Clearing Firewall: OK

I ran iptables -L again after firehol stop, and got:

Tux:/var/log# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
Tux:/var/log#

I have also uninstalled shorewall and fwbuilder. I have since restarted. The
situation is better now, tho' still problematic. (I restarted because my
system locked up. :-( Probably due ot memory problems. I have been
dithering over getting myself some more memory for a couple of months. This
sttled it, and I took the plunge.

Shall now try to make myself drop this until the memory arrives.

Lisi

Old 05-31-2010, 11:14 PM
godo

'iptables -L' will list all rules so maybe somebody from the list will
notice something.

Tux:/home/lisi# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Tux:/home/lisi#

Your iptables are empty so they don't "killing" google earth.
Do you get some errors if you start google earth from shell?

I have also uninstalled shorewall and fwbuilder. I have since restarted. The
situation is better now, tho' still problematic. (I restarted because my
system locked up. :-( Probably due ot memory problems. I have been
dithering over getting myself some more memory for a couple of months. This
sttled it, and I took the plunge.

Shall now try to make myself drop this until the memory arrives.

Lisi

More memory always make box cheerful :-)