Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM
AG

Default Monitoring network activity

Hi List

Every now and again the lights on my broadband modem start flashing
which indicates package transmission/ receiving. When I have
deliberately started an application to access the web (e.g. web browser,
email client, etc.) that's fine. I do get a little concerned however
when the lights flash and I cannot find an app that is accessing/
receiving info from the web.

How would I go about finding out what application is connecting to the
web and/ or what is connecting to my machine to cause the modem light
activity? I've tried ps -A and ps -aux but this shows up a lot of info
which makes it difficult to see any particular activity that may be
responsible.

Is there a bash command (or a GUI app) that will identify what the
connection is and who/ what initiated it, etc.?

I'm using an up-to-date testing installation.

Thanks for any help.

AG

Archive: 4BFE377B.3040502@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BFE377B.3040502@gmail.com

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Mirco Piccin

Hi,

> How would I go about finding out what application is connecting to the
> web and/ or what is connecting to my machine to cause the modem
> light
activity?

i think that with wireshark or ntop you should obtain the information you need.

Regards

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Le 14756ième jour après Epoch,
AG écrivait:

> Is there a bash command (or a GUI app) that will identify what the
> connection is and who/ what initiated it, etc.?

Maybe ntop could help you.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Michal

On 27/05/2010 10:44, François TOURDE wrote:
> Le 14756ième jour après Epoch,
> AG écrivait:
>
>> Is there a bash command (or a GUI app) that will identify what the
>> connection is and who/ what initiated it, etc.?

wireshark

Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 AM
AG

On 27/05/10 10:44, Mirco Piccin wrote:

Hi,

> How would I go about finding out what application is connecting to the
> web and/ or what is connecting to my machine to cause the modem
> light activity?

i think that with wireshark or ntop you should obtain the information
you need.

Regards

Hi and thanks for responding Mirco, François, and Michal

After looking at the options, I decided on Wireshark and am giving that
a test run.

Bit of a learning curve, but appears to do the job.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Best

AG

Archive: 4BFE4D82.1030107@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BFE4D82.1030107@gmail.com

Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Miles Fidelman

AG wrote:

Every now and again the lights on my broadband modem start flashing
which indicates package transmission/ receiving. When I have
deliberately started an application to access the web (e.g. web
browser, email client, etc.) that's fine. I do get a little concerned
however when the lights flash and I cannot find an app that is
accessing/ receiving info from the web.

How would I go about finding out what application is connecting to the
web and/ or what is connecting to my machine to cause the modem light
activity? I've tried ps -A and ps -aux but this shows up a lot of
info which makes it difficult to see any particular activity that may
be responsible.

netstat and ntop can tell you a lot about network connections

I came across this recently, but haven't gotten around to trying it:
http://nethogs.sourceforge.net/

Which purports to tell you what individual programs are doing vis-a-vis
the net - sort of lsof for network connections, and exactly what you're
asking for.

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4BFE668A.6070200@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BFE668A.6070200@meetinghouse.net

Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-05-27, AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 27/05/10 10:44, Mirco Piccin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> > How would I go about finding out what application is connecting to the
>> > web and/ or what is connecting to my machine to cause the modem
>> > light activity?
>>
>> i think that with wireshark or ntop you should obtain the information
>> you need.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> Hi and thanks for responding Mirco, François, and Michal
>
> After looking at the options, I decided on Wireshark and am giving that
> a test run.
>
> Bit of a learning curve, but appears to do the job.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Best
>
> AG

Even more choices: iptraf, tcpdump.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
AG

How would I go about finding out what application is connecting to the
web and/ or what is connecting to my machine to cause the modem
light activity?

i think that with wireshark or ntop you should obtain the information
you need.

Regards

Hi and thanks for responding Mirco, François, and Michal

After looking at the options, I decided on Wireshark and am giving that
a test run.

Bit of a learning curve, but appears to do the job.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Best

AG

Even more choices: iptraf, tcpdump.

Choices ... choices - the blessing/ curse of OSS

Archive: 4BFEC9C9.7010906@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BFEC9C9.7010906@gmail.com

Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Ryan Nowakowski

iftop is what I use.