Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Wolodja Wentland

Default installing deb files from unstable or testing

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:09 +0200, Israel Garcia wrote:
> Some times ago (I could not find on google), I could create a deb file
> for my lenny from unstable or testing debian (done remember now). I
> remember I follow some steps from a blog or something and I
> successfully created a new version of a deb file. Can you help me to
> get this steps?

Take a look at http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/05/msg01325.html
and in particular the "Stable + backports + simple sid backports"
section.

good luck

Wolodja
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :

Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 27 May 2010 10:09:04 +0200, Israel Garcia wrote:

> Some times ago (I could not find on google), I could create a deb file
> for my lenny from unstable or testing debian (done remember now). I
> remember I follow some steps from a blog or something and I successfully
> created a new version of a deb file. Can you help me to get this steps?

There is an old how-to here:

Debian Backporting HowTo
http://debian.ethz.ch/pub/debian-backports/utils/Backport-HOWTO.html

But seems unfinished :-?

Maybe you can ask in debian backport mailing list to get an accurate (and
most updated) response on how to get this done:

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Mirco Piccin

Hi

> I meant "using testing and unstable packages in Lenny"..

There are two way2 to do the job:
backports (as Camaleón suggests)
apt-pinning (as John suggests)

Regards

Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Ingo Kasten

Israel Garcia schrieb:

Some times ago (I could not find on google), I could create a deb file
for my lenny from unstable or testing debian (done remember now). I
remember I follow some steps from a blog or something and I
successfully created a new version of a deb file. Can you help me to
get this steps?

As far as I understand, you would like to backport an unstable package
for your stable system.
Unless you don't want to pin your apt-get to unstable (or testing) do
the following (so did I many times before when I used stable):
Go to the debian unstable package *source* page and download manually
the appropriate source file, the *.dsc file and the diff.gz file into

an empty folder.
In this folder you do "dpkg-source -x *.dsc" and your build-folder will
be produced. In the root of this folder you make
"dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot" and if all dependencies are met, you will
get a *deb file which can be installed on your system with

"dpkg -i *.deb" ( all commands without "" ).
If the build process fails, you will be warned for unmet dependencies
and sometimes the trouble begins! Maybe you even have to backport all
dependencies, which isn't a funny thing to do for the whole gtk for
example ;-) .

Archive: 4bfecc44$0$7660$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net">http://lists.debian.org/4bfecc44$0$7660$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net

Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,27.May.10, 21:47:16, Ingo Kasten wrote:
> Israel Garcia schrieb:
> >Some times ago (I could not find on google), I could create a deb file
> >for my lenny from unstable or testing debian (done remember now). I
> >remember I follow some steps from a blog or something and I
> >successfully created a new version of a deb file. Can you help me to
> >get this steps?
> >
> As far as I understand, you would like to backport an unstable
> package for your stable system.
> Unless you don't want to pin your apt-get to unstable (or testing)
> do the following (so did I many times before when I used stable):
> Go to the debian unstable package *source* page and download
> manually the appropriate source file, the *.dsc file and the diff.gz
> file into
> an empty folder.
> In this folder you do "dpkg-source -x *.dsc" and your build-folder

Wouldn't it be simpler to just add a deb-src line for unstable and

apt-get source package

?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Ingo Kasten

Andrei Popescu schrieb:

[...]

Yes and no.
As I mentioned, you'll have to pin apt-get (source) to the right
distribution , that means sometimes unstable and sometimes testing.
Then you would do apt-get source [package]=unstable/testing for
downloading. But it would work indeed :-) .

Regards
Ingo

Archive: 4bff5808$0$6885$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net">http://lists.debian.org/4bff5808$0$6885$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net

Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Israel Garcia

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Mirco Piccin <pictux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>> I meant "using testing and unstable packages in Lenny"..
>
> There are two way2 to do the job:
> backports (as Camaleón suggests)

Ready!, I backported rrdttool 1.4 to my server...:-)

thanks a lot guys.

regards
Israel.
> apt-pinning (as John suggests)