Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 AM
Madhurya Kakati

Default Ports like system for debian.

Is there a bsd ports like system in debian?

Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 22:15:40 Madhurya Kakati wrote:
> Is there a bsd ports like system in debian?

Instead of provided a big source tree where you have to compile a large number
of programs yourself, Debian provides more than 30k binary packages for a
half-dozen different architectures.

So... could you define a "ports like system"?
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 05-27-2010, 03:55 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Madhurya Kakati put forth on 5/26/2010 10:15 PM:
> Is there a bsd ports like system in debian?

I believe you're looking for the Gentoo Portage system:

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

AFAIK, there is no Debian equivalent, nor any other Linux distro, that manages
and builds packages from source, in the manner of BSD ports or Gentoo Portage.

--
Stan

Old 05-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Jordan Metzmeier

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

Madhurya Kakati put forth on 5/26/2010 10:15 PM:

> Is there a bsd ports like system in debian?

I believe you're looking for the Gentoo Portage system:

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

AFAIK, there is no Debian equivalent, nor any other Linux distro, that manages

and builds packages from source, in the manner of BSD ports or Gentoo Portage.

--

Stan

You can however do almost the*equivalent of an "emerge world" in Gentoo. You can use apt-build to recompile all packages on a system using different optimization flags:*http://packages.debian.org/lenny/apt-build*.

--*Jordan Metzmeier

Old 05-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Javier Vasquez

On 5/26/10, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Madhurya Kakati put forth on 5/26/2010 10:15 PM:
>> Is there a bsd ports like system in debian?
>
> I believe you're looking for the Gentoo Portage system:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
>
> AFAIK, there is no Debian equivalent, nor any other Linux distro, that
> manages
> and builds packages from source, in the manner of BSD ports or Gentoo
> Portage.
>
> --
> Stan

If you're talking about source based dostros like gentoo, there are
others which are pretty good as well... Examples:

sourceMage (I like this one a lot)
sorcerer (never tried it, but it's the original sorcery stuff)
Lunar (as sourceMage forked from sorcerer)

There might be others based on linux from scratch as well... So
gentoo is not the only option around, although perhpas the mos known
among the source based distros... Bad thing about source based
distros for me is that I have pretty slow old boxes, and when
compiling lets say gcc, g++, gcj, and the like, well, it just takes
forever...

One binary distro that comes closer to freeBSD ports concept is
archLinux, it has in its binary repos a "core", an "extra", and
"community" provided binaries. But if you don't find what you need
there's also AUR, which is a repo with pacman PKGBUILDs available and
with yaourt for example you can install them almost the same way you
install binaries, but what happens beneath is that the sources are
downloaded, the package is built, and then finally installed...

So not debian, but closer to the freeBSD approach. Another thing
similar to freeBSD is the init scripts stuff, controlled by rc.conf...

Bad thing is that it's not debian, :-) Also bad thing is that it only
supports i686 and x86_64, plus an early port to ARM (non official
project), and another port to hurd (that just started, non official as
well)... Did I say bad thing it's not debian already, :-)

--
Javier.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Kyle Dassoff

It isn't Debian, but Arch is a nice distro as long as you don't mind
configuring more of the system on your own. I've been using Arch for a
while (as well as Debian).
Gentoo is also a good choice if you want tons of control over how
packages are compiled (look up USE flags on Gentoo's documentation) and
don't mind the fact that installation of software takes a _long_ time,
since it's source based and everything is compiled during installation.
I used to use Gentoo a while ago, and it's a great system, but I
personally found it to be more effort than I was willing to put in and
large programs took too long to compile.

If you're looking for a ports-like system to run on top of Debian, you
can also check out NetBSD's pkgsrc. It started out as a fork of the
ports system and is very similar, but NetBSD runs the project and it
runs on more than just NetBSD. They have instructions and downloads for
non-NetBSD systems, and I believe it will install into /usr/local like
FreeBSD's Ports does. I haven't used pkgsrc myself, so I can't give you
any more information than that.

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html -- pkgsrc home page

--Kyle

Archive: 4BFEC1E0.3040300@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BFEC1E0.3040300@gmail.com

Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Aaron Toponce

On 05/27/2010 01:02 PM, Kyle Dassoff wrote:
> It isn't Debian, but Arch is a nice distro as long as you don't mind
> configuring more of the system on your own. I've been using Arch for a
> while (as well as Debian).

Arch has all the simplistic beauty that a core operating system should
have. Packages are not much more than tarballs, not many, if any,
default configs are built, and only a base install is made, you decide
what to install for a working operating system after that. Runs lean,
uses the BSD-style init, rather than SysV-init, and everything Just Works.

Major drawbacks include a very basic shell-script for the installer,
with no rescue mode, or ability to do any deep adjustments before
installing. That would go against the simplicity. Packages aren't
GPG-signed by their maintainers. They are however MD5 checksummed, but
you and I know perfectly well, that a 3rd party MITM attack is perfectly
plausible here, including the MD5 signature, and you would not be the
wiser. Also, because of their anal retentive philosophy towards
simplicity, Free Software is not in a separate repository from the
non-free. It's all in one.

> Gentoo is also a good choice [snip]

Personally, I can't stand Gentoo, and I'm surprised it's been as
successful as it has. But, I'll leave the rest of my opinions about
Gentoo off list.

> If you're looking for a ports-like system to run on top of Debian, you
> can also check out NetBSD's pkgsrc. [snip]

NetBSD is a beautiful operating system, and I ran it as a server for a
long time, before getting tired of its lack of solid system
administration utilities (for example, at the time, it didn't have any
LVM support). It's networking stack can't be beat, the architectures it
covers is massively impressive, it runs lean and it's snappy as hell.
However, as beautiful as it is, it's still light years (any BSD really)
behind any decent, capable GNU/Linux-based operating system, including
Debian.

However, because the thread is about a "ports like system for debian",
two things come to mind:

1) Are you talking about a software system that installs software
automatically, resolving dependencies? If so, dpkg and apt are your tools.

2) Are you talking about building packages from source? If so, Debian is
not your option. It's entirely binary-based, and has good reasons for
being so. You won't find a utility that compiles source-based packages
on Debian, resolving dependencies, and installing as per FHS.

--
. O . O . O . . O O . . . O .
. . O . O O O . O . O O . . O