Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
David Baron

Default Chomium in Sid

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 17:16:57 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > A poster rightly noted that chromium is NOT google chrome.
> >

> > Installed it (still in 5.****). Looks like Google's. Taste's like
> > it. I do believe it loads up noticeably faster (was not that the
> > whole point of chromium in the first place?). Flash seems more
> > reliable as well (I understand why Apple prefers to avoid it!).
> >

> > So before I decide which one to keep, how can I get them to share
> > the same configuration, options, extensions, etc. Doing that will
> > enable a real comparison? Where do they keep this data?
> >

> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

Note corrected subject.

This WIKI is very helpful, thanks. I symlinked chromium's to google's and
seems OK (have a save just in case).

Two main differences:

Translations -- Google's gets in the way unless one sets the option to not
automatically offer translation. There are extensions including google's own
which might get translation into chromium. Will try.

Chromium comes up working much faster. Apparently google-chrome is searching
apt-cache as nauseum on start and is blocked at this point. Probably looking
for plugins or something else. Opera was my former choice but also takes
forever to come up. At least google-chrome shows itself before blocking.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Aaron Toponce

Can you fix your client? Every time you've replied to a thread, it's
broken the original thread, and started anew.

Thanks,

--
. O . O . O . . O O . . . O .
. . O . O O O . O . O O . . O

Old 05-27-2010, 02:49 PM
David Baron

So I have both chromium from Sid and google-chrome from google installed,
sharing the same .config directory. No problem with deleted extensions.

Having both around does confuse the default browser and each will ask anew
every single time.

So with chromium running, I click a link on an email and the taskbar shows
google-chrome starting up for the link .... which then appears as a tab and
process in the chromium-browser session. No harm done.