Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Mathieu Malaterre

Default Affordable big endian machine to run debian

Hi there,

For a toy project I am looking for a big endian machine where I
could run debian on it (of course!). I tried using qemu + a powerpc
image but running a C++ compiler / linker was extraodinarly slow.
G5 is just way to expensive for me. If possible I would like to
avoid having to buy a used machine on ebay. Can I find something in
the range [1000$ - 1500$] ?

Thanks a bunch !
--
Mathieu

Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Aioanei Rares

PARISC and www.gall.de (no, I am in no way affiliated with them)

Archive: 4BFD1AB2.30901@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BFD1AB2.30901@gmail.com

Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Rick Thomas

For a toy project I am looking for a big endian machine where I
could run debian on it (of course!). I tried using qemu + a powerpc
image but running a C++ compiler / linker was extraodinarly slow.
G5 is just way to expensive for me. If possible I would like to
avoid having to buy a used machine on ebay. Can I find something in
the range [1000$ - 1500$] ?

Thanks a bunch !
--
Mathieu

Take a look here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/PMG4MDD125/

Apple PowerMac G4 Mirrored Drive Door Dual 1.25GHz G4, 512MB RAM/120GB
HD/DVD-R/ATI Radeon 9000 AGP Video.

Perfect for Debian. US$350. I'd recommend upgrading the RAM to 2 GB
(max for the box) and installing a USB-2.0 card (the MB has only
USB-1.1) which might add a couple of hundred dollars to the price --
still within your stated range.

I've bought stuff from them before (in fact, a similar machine) and
been very happy with the results.

The 1.25 GHz G4 processor is roughly the equivalent in compute power
to a 2 GHz Pentium, so it's a pleasingly quick little machine.

Enjoy!

Rick