FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Barry Samuels
 
Default Strange printing effect

I use Debian Testing/Squeeze with the 2.6.32 kernel, hplip and hplip-cups.
My printer is a networked HP LaserJet 4500 colour laser.

I get a strange print output sometimes where parts of the background are
black where it should be white. This only occurs on areas which are empty
i.e. there is nothing there to print. The areas which have text do have a
white background.

The easiest way to understand is to look at this image of a printed page:

http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk/system/print-sample.jpg

All those black bands and lines shouldn't be there i.e. they should all be
white.

If I print a CUPS test page it prints perfectly. If I print a text
document from the OpenOffice word processor this effect does not show but
if I print a spreadsheet from OpenOffice it does show.

A print from the Iceweasel browser shows some thin lines on the outer
edges only and printing from a PDF document using the Adobe Reader
produces the black baground effect.

It's all rather baffling and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk
The Unofficial Guide to Great Britain


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1274866014.27837.0@dataman1">http://lists.debian.org/1274866014.27837.0@dataman1
 
Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Brad Rogers
 
Default Strange printing effect

On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100
Barry Samuels <barry@beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Barry,

> It's all rather baffling and any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

I don't have an answer, but I can tell you it's not 'just you'.

Using an HP 1200 Business Inkjet, hplip & Cups I get similar things.
The only difference being that the unwanted background here is printed
in yellow.

I wouldn't mind, but ink and toner cost money. :-(

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

The public gets what the public wants
Going Underground - The Jam
 
Old 05-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Strange printing effect

On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:

> I use Debian Testing/Squeeze with the 2.6.32 kernel, hplip and
> hplip-cups. My printer is a networked HP LaserJet 4500 colour laser.
>
> I get a strange print output sometimes where parts of the background are
> black where it should be white. This only occurs on areas which are
> empty i.e. there is nothing there to print. The areas which have text do
> have a white background.

(...)

Make a quick test: create a new printer using CUPS interface (select a PS
driver) and try to print the same page with the newly created printer to
see if it happens the same.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.05.26.11.08.23@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.05.26.11.08.23@gmail.com
 
Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Barry Samuels
 
Default Strange printing effect

On 26/05/10 11:52:22, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100
> Barry Samuels <barry@beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:
> > It's all rather baffling and any suggestions would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> I don't have an answer, but I can tell you it's not 'just you'.
>
> Using an HP 1200 Business Inkjet, hplip & Cups I get similar things.
> The only difference being that the unwanted background here is printed
> in yellow.

That's not fair! It's prettier than mine. :-))

It's nice to know I'm not alone and I did wonder if it might be the
driver although I can't imagine it being released, even for Squeeze, with
such glaring faults.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk
The Unofficial Guide to Great Britain


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1274872533.9090.0@dataman1">http://lists.debian.org/1274872533.9090.0@dataman1
 
Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Merciadri Luca
 
Default Strange printing effect

Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100
> Barry Samuels <barry@beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Barry,
>
>
>> It's all rather baffling and any suggestions would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>
> I don't have an answer, but I can tell you it's not 'just you'.
>
> Using an HP 1200 Business Inkjet, hplip & Cups I get similar things.
> The only difference being that the unwanted background here is printed
> in yellow.
>
> I wouldn't mind, but ink and toner cost money. :-(
>
>
Are not you having some CUPS driver problem? I had to try many different
ones for my HP OfficeJet Pro L7500 to make it work correctly.

--
Merciadri Luca
See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
I use PGP. If there is an incompatibility problem with your mail
client, please contact me.
 
Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Brad Rogers
 
Default Strange printing effect

On Wed, 26 May 2010 12:15:33 +0100
Barry Samuels <barry@beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Barry,

> That's not fair! It's prettier than mine. :-))

:-)

At least a few others have suggested diagnostics that will help
eliminate/prove causes.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Dream on white boy, dream on black girl
Original Sin - INXS
 
Old 05-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Brad Rogers
 
Default Strange printing effect

On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:24:03 +0200
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

Hello Merciadri,

> Are not you having some CUPS driver problem? I had to try many
> different ones for my HP OfficeJet Pro L7500 to make it work correctly.

Given that I'm using the correct driver for my printer (a fact I
neglected to mention), and another HP printer is suffering similar
issues would indicate (to me at least) the fault is not the driver, but
somewhere else in the chain. I have no proof of that, I'm simply
working on "gut feeling".

Given hplip's behaviour in the past(0), my instinct is to blame that.

(0) Here, it's been not working at all, only working if the printer is
on before hplip starts, only showing print jobs but not ink/head status,
never working with a parallel printer, only USB......

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Every single one of us
Devil Inside - INXS
 
Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Merciadri Luca
 
Default Strange printing effect

Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:24:03 +0200
> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
>
> Hello Merciadri,
>
>
>
> Given that I'm using the correct driver for my printer (a fact I
> neglected to mention), and another HP printer is suffering similar
> issues would indicate (to me at least) the fault is not the driver, but
> somewhere else in the chain. I have no proof of that, I'm simply
> working on "gut feeling".
>
> Given hplip's behaviour in the past(0), my instinct is to blame that.
>
> (0) Here, it's been not working at all, only working if the printer is
> on before hplip starts, only showing print jobs but not ink/head status,
> never working with a parallel printer, only USB......
>
>
That is a really strange problem. Have you tried your printer on another
computer? (Basic question, I know, but we sometimes forget.)

For example, I tried `CUPS + Gutenprint' for my L7500, and the output
was pretty bad. I tried many other variants, and `Footmatic/hpijs' was
the best (it was apparently the recommended one). How is the printer
connected to the computer? I have no experience with laser printers.

--
Merciadri Luca
See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
I use PGP. If there is an incompatibility problem with your mail
client, please contact me.
 
Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Brad Rogers
 
Default Strange printing effect

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:33:38 +0200
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

Hello Merciadri,

> That is a really strange problem. Have you tried your printer on
> another computer? (Basic question, I know, but we sometimes forget.)

Unfortunately, that's not possible, as I don't have access to another
computer to try it on.

> connected to the computer? I have no experience with laser printers.

Via USB, as hplip doesn't recognise parallel printers [at least from
Debian repos](0). Barry's is the laser printer, mine's an inkjet.

[0] It is possible to use parallel printers with hplip but, by default,
the ability is off at compile time. I've never pursued the issue the
the Debian maintainer but guess he doesn't enable the feature.

I also want to go direct to HP to use hplip since their way uses a
very unDebian like install method. On top of that, I already install
four packages manually, and don't wish to make that five.

Finally, for me, this is a minor 'nit' as I don't do a great deal of
printing. I can see though, it would be costly for users that make a
lot of use of their printer(s).

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

This disease is catching
Into The Valley - Skids
 
Old 05-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Barry Samuels
 
Default Strange printing effect

On 26/05/10 12:08:23, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:
>
> > I use Debian Testing/Squeeze with the 2.6.32 kernel, hplip and
> > hplip-cups. My printer is a networked HP LaserJet 4500 colour laser.
> >
> > I get a strange print output sometimes where parts of the background
> > are black where it should be white. This only occurs on areas which
> > are empty i.e. there is nothing there to print. The areas which have
> > text do have a white background.
>
> (...)
>
> Make a quick test: create a new printer using CUPS interface (select a
> PS driver) and try to print the same page with the newly created
> printer to see if it happens the same.
> --
> Camaleón

I created a new CUPS printer using the Generic Postscript driver and it
does not appear to produce the problem. Printing a test page from the CUPS
maintenance screen it prints perfectly but in monochrome only.

Printing a spreadsheet using this printer doesn't produce the problem
either but I did select 'Postscript 2' and 'Colour' rather than 'from
driver' and it did print colour.

It does look like the HPLIP driver is causing the problem.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk
The Unofficial Guide to Great Britain


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1274883389.31351.0@dataman1">http://lists.debian.org/1274883389.31351.0@dataman1
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org