Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 AM
Vincze Janos Istvan

Default Dovecot access imap folder via POP3

Dear All,

I use postfix and dovecot (1.1.11) combo with maildir format.
I would have a question about dovecot config.

Can I confiugre dovecot to download mails from IMAP folders via POP3?

Now, mails can be downloaded only from .INBOX.

My dovecot.conf file:

mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
namespace private {
separator = .
prefix = INBOX.
#location = mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir

inbox = yes
#hidden = yes
}
mail_privileged_group = mail

Thank you for any help,
John, Vincze

Archive: 4BFC7F71.7030109@vinczejanos.info">http://lists.debian.org/4BFC7F71.7030109@vinczejanos.info

Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,26.May.10, 03:54:57, Vincze Janos Istvan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I use postfix and dovecot (1.1.11) combo with maildir format.
> I would have a question about dovecot config.
>
> Can I confiugre dovecot to download mails from IMAP folders via POP3?
>
> Now, mails can be downloaded only from .INBOX.

As far as I know this is a limitation of the POP3 protocol. What is the
actual problem you are trying to solve? Maybe we can suggest alternate
ways.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Ron Johnson

I use postfix and dovecot (1.1.11) combo with maildir format.
I would have a question about dovecot config.

Can I confiugre dovecot to download mails from IMAP folders via POP3?

Now, mails can be downloaded only from .INBOX.

Why? The whole point of IMAP is to *not* store emails locally.

Anyway, have you googled "dovecot pop3" or read the documentation at
http://wiki.dovecot.org/ ?

My dovecot.conf file:

mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
namespace private {
separator = .
prefix = INBOX.
#location = mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir

inbox = yes
#hidden = yes
}
mail_privileged_group = mail

Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Archive: 4BFCE5AA.9080404@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BFCE5AA.9080404@cox.net

Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 26 May 2010 03:54:57 +0200, Vincze Janos Istvan wrote:

> I use postfix and dovecot (1.1.11) combo with maildir format. I would
> have a question about dovecot config.
>
> Can I confiugre dovecot to download mails from IMAP folders via POP3?

Sure, why not?

Just setup Dovecot to listen in both, 110 (pop3) and 143 (imap) ports.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Chris Bannister

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 04:11:06AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/25/2010 08:54 PM, Vincze Janos Istvan wrote:
[…]
> >Can I confiugre dovecot to download mails from IMAP folders via POP3?
> >
> >Now, mails can be downloaded only from .INBOX.
>
> Why? The whole point of IMAP is to *not* store emails locally.
>
> Anyway, have you googled "dovecot pop3" or read the documentation at
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/ ?

This looks like a good place to start:

-- Napoleon Bonaparte