Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Adam Hardy

Default microphone

This has got to be a simple question: I have a sound card and I've just plugged
in a microphone that I want to test (not USB obviously). Is there an easy
program I can install onto lenny/xfce that I can use to test it?

I just tried with bplay but it wants me to have /dev/dsp which I haven't got -
it should be using udev shouldn't it? I read the description of elisa and it has
megs of gnome stuff to install as well - is it worth it?

Thanks
Adam

Archive: 4BFBB548.8050702@cyberspaceroad.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BFBB548.8050702@cyberspaceroad.com

Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Claudius Hubig

Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
>This has got to be a simple question: I have a sound card and I've just plugged
>in a microphone that I want to test (not USB obviously). Is there an easy
>program I can install onto lenny/xfce that I can use to test it?
>
>I just tried with bplay but it wants me to have /dev/dsp which I haven't got -
>it should be using udev shouldn't it? I read the description of elisa and it has
>megs of gnome stuff to install as well - is it worth it?

You could try Audacity – it has a lot of features, but not that many
dependencies I think.

HTH,

Claudius
--
Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.

http://chubig.net/

Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Adam Hardy

This has got to be a simple question: I have a sound card and I've just plugged
in a microphone that I want to test (not USB obviously). Is there an easy
program I can install onto lenny/xfce that I can use to test it?

I just tried with bplay but it wants me to have /dev/dsp which I haven't got -
it should be using udev shouldn't it? I read the description of elisa and it has
megs of gnome stuff to install as well - is it worth it?

You could try Audacity – it has a lot of features, but not that many
dependencies I think.

OK I guess my search terms must have been bad! Audacity didn't come up when I
used "sound recorder".

Anyway, audacity is great - although it's proved that my mic is bust.

Thanks
Adam

Archive: 4BFBC822.7070304@cyberspaceroad.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BFBC822.7070304@cyberspaceroad.com

Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Jasper

arecord|aplay

then play with the sliders in alsamixer.

--Jasper.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Camalen

On Tue, 25 May 2010 12:32:24 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

> This has got to be a simple question: I have a sound card and I've just
> plugged in a microphone that I want to test (not USB obviously). Is
> there an easy program I can install onto lenny/xfce that I can use to
> test it?

If you've got "alsa-mixer" package installed, "arecord" could help you to
test your microphone.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Anand Sivaram

then play with the sliders in alsamixer.

--Jasper.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1274792348.2735.1.camel@dx2000.g48b

I also suggest the same.arecord | aplayarecord could be used to record wave files also......

Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Adam Hardy