Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Gene Kodadek

Default Jumpy video after KDE 4.4 upgrade in Squeeze

I upgraded my Squeeze box to KDE 4.4 about a week ago, and have been
contending with jumpy, hesitant video performance ever since. I'm not sure
which package to file this bug against; if it helps I'm running an Nvidia
7900GS using the drivers in the nvidia-glx package. It ran fine with KDE 4.3.
Thanks!

Gene

Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 19:16:06 -0500, Gene Kodadek wrote:
> I upgraded my Squeeze box to KDE 4.4 about a week ago, and have been
> contending with jumpy, hesitant video performance ever since. I'm not sure
> which package to file this bug against; if it helps I'm running an Nvidia
> 7900GS using the drivers in the nvidia-glx package. It ran fine with KDE 4.3.
> Thanks!

First of all, does this problem occur with all video players or just
with some of them? Which ones did you try?

Are you using desktop effects/compositing? If yes, then you should try
if turning them off makes a difference. Also, check the CPU load while a
video is playing.

Besides that, the output of the following commands might give us a clue
about possible problems with your X server:

grep -E '^((EE|WW))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
glxinfo | grep -E 'direct|vendor|version'
xvinfo | grep -E 'Adaptor|version| id'

--
Regards, |
Florian |