Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Stephen Powell

Default Trying to install Google Earth on Lenny. How on earth??????

On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:47:35 -0400 (EDT), Lisi wrote:

> I have been trying to install Google Earth on Lenny ...

Lisi,

This is not really an answer to your question, but rather
an alternative, especially since you are short of time.
Both Yahoo and Mapquest have aerial photos available, down
to fairly decent resolution in most areas. I can clearly
pick out my house on a 60'x120' lot using it. It may be
adequate for your purposes. And in public places, such
as the capitol building, I can pick out individual people,
though I obviously can't tell who they are. Try, for example,

http://www.mapquest.com/

To see actual photographs, click on "Aerial map" in the
upper right hand corner. By default, it shows street names
too, but you can turn that off by clicking off the check
box for "show labels". The zoom control is in the upper
left-hand corner of the picture.

HTH

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 05-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Lisi

On Monday 24 May 2010 16:11:43 Stephen Powell wrote:
> Both Yahoo and Mapquest have aerial photos available, down
> to fairly decent resolution in most areas.

Thanks, Stephen. Shall try both immediately.

Lisi

Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:47:35 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Lisi,

> I have been trying to install Google Earth on Lenny in order to be
> able to show a *********** insurance inspector what the junction,
> where my husband

Why not just use Google Maps? Even if the agent is elsewhere, you can
give him the url via the "link", err, link.

Failing that, snapshot the screen, and "paint" info onto that to
indicate where vehicles and cyclist were, directions of travel, etc.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

No you can't hop into my shower
Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely) - P!nk

Old 05-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 24 May 2010 11:19:32 -0400 (EDT), Brad Rogers wrote:
> Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have been trying to install Google Earth on Lenny in order to be
>> able to show a *********** insurance inspector what the junction,
>> where my husband ...
>
> Why not just use Google Maps? Even if the agent is elsewhere, you can
> give him the url via the "link", err, link.
>
> Failing that, snapshot the screen, and "paint" info onto that to
> indicate where vehicles and cyclist were, directions of travel, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, Brad. I like Google maps even better
than Mapquest. They even have a "street's-eye view available." I can
see my house with my car parked in front of it. Neat!

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Lisi

On Monday 24 May 2010 16:11:43 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:47:35 -0400 (EDT), Lisi wrote:
> > I have been trying to install Google Earth on Lenny ...
>
> Lisi,
>
> This is not really an answer to your question, but rather
> an alternative, especially since you are short of time.
> Both Yahoo and Mapquest have aerial photos available, down
> to fairly decent resolution in most areas. I can clearly
> pick out my house on a 60'x120' lot using it. It may be
> adequate for your purposes. And in public places, such
> as the capitol building, I can pick out individual people,
> though I obviously can't tell who they are. Try, for example,
>
> http://www.mapquest.com/
>
> To see actual photographs, click on "Aerial map" in the
> upper right hand corner. By default, it shows street names
> too, but you can turn that off by clicking off the check
> box for "show labels". The zoom control is in the upper
> left-hand corner of the picture.

How I fared:

I could only persuade Yahoo maps to offer to get me from A to B, not show me
pictures of A.

Mapquest zoomed in on it beautifully, but had no pictures. Two
different "maps", and I could turn the labels off under the aerial view, but
no pictures. I presume that they photographed the USA first.

But thanks for the lateral thinking, Stephen. It might have worked!!

I shall have to give up for the moment.

Lisi