Old 05-23-2010, 11:28 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

Default Tiny terminal text after kernel update

After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 05-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 23 May 2010, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
> teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?

I've noticed the same thing. In my case I think it's due to using the
nouveau driver. I haven't tried to do anything about it.
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-05-24 01:28 +0200, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

> After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
> teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?

Which graphics card do you use?

Sven

Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 04:28:55PM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
> teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?

Are you running grub-legacy? If so what is vga= set to?

Is the old kernel still installed, that is, the one where the font was
as you liked it? If so does it still behave as you'd like? If so, are
there any differences between them -- configs/grub settings etc?

--
Chris

Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 24 May 2010, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-05-24 01:28 +0200, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
>
> > After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
> > teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?
>
> Which graphics card do you use?
>
> Sven

VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 05-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 03:09:01PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 24 May 2010, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > On 2010-05-24 01:28 +0200, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> >
> > > After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
> > > teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?
> >
> > Which graphics card do you use?
> >
> > Sven
> >

> VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)

These modern graphics hardwares are not just compatible with plain VGA
but one with VESA BIOS Extensions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions

I think when kernel autodetect at one point, it uses VESA high
resolution mode. It should be able to lock it via kernel parameter.

Osamu

Old 05-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Mitchell Laks

On 16:28 Sun 23 May , Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
> teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?

I had this on my system as well. I also had trouuble when tried to reinstall the
binary nvidia driver for my nvidia card. It would not work.

I mucked around and discovered that there is default install of the nouveau driver in the
new kernel.

So the solution to both of the problems (tiny font on boot + failure to install non-free
binary nvidia kernel using the NVIDIA non free linux drivers) is to ban the nouveau kernel module.

The way to do this is

put the line

blacklist nouveau

in the file

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

then when you boot you will be in good shape.

The nouveau kernel module sets up a framebuffer for nvidia graphics cards like ours.

Mitchell Laks

Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-05-24 16:09 +0200, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 24 May 2010, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2010-05-24 01:28 +0200, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
>>
>> > After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
>> > teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?
>>
>> Which graphics card do you use?
>>
>> Sven
>>

> VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)

In this case, it is the nouveau.ko module which takes over the
graphics¹. Note that this module is necessary if you want to use the
nouveau X driver².

You can blacklist the module or use nouveau.modeset=0 kernel parameter,
leaving you with the nv (or nvidia) driver for X. Another possibility
is to use a bigger font. Install the console-setup and kbd packages and
use "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup" to choose your preferred font.

Sven

¹ http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting
² http://packages.debian.org/sid/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

Old 05-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-05-24 16:59 +0200, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> On 16:28 Sun 23 May , Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
>> After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
>> teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?
>>

> I had this on my system as well. I also had trouuble when tried to reinstall the
> binary nvidia driver for my nvidia card. It would not work.
>
> I mucked around and discovered that there is default install of the nouveau driver in the
> new kernel.
>
> So the solution to both of the problems (tiny font on boot + failure to install non-free
> binary nvidia kernel using the NVIDIA non free linux drivers) is to ban the nouveau kernel module.
>
> The way to do this is
>
> put the line
>
> blacklist nouveau
>
> in the file
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>
> then when you boot you will be in good shape.

Note that the latest nvidia-kernel-common package will do this for you
(it puts the line into /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-common.conf).

> The nouveau kernel module sets up a framebuffer for nvidia graphics cards like ours.

This is something which I actually like very much. The console-setup
package can be used to pick up a bigger font if the default font is too
small.

Sven

Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Roger Leigh

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 04:28:55PM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
> teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?

Rather than disabling the high resolution display, as others
suggested, I would advise a rather simpler solution, which is
to use a larger console font than 8×16 which will solve the
problem and give you a nicer display.

Regards,
Roger

--