Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 AM
deloptes

Default upgrade from lenny to sid with kde installed (second attempt)

Hi,
I've just finished one test upgrade from lenny to sid. Here is what I did:

I. upgrade to squeeze

remove all the kde3 related applications

1. copy the system to an external usb harddrive (and make it bootable)
2. mount the usb drive and
3. chroot to the mounted dir
4. modify /etc/apt/source.list to be squeeze
5. apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

Note: not all packages have been installed correctly

6. reboot into the usb drive
7. apt-get -f install; apt-get autoremove ; apt-get clean

II. upgrade to sid
(back in my working environment)

1. mount the usb drive and
2. chroot to the mounted dir
3. modify /etc/apt/source.list to be sid
4. apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade
5. reboot into the usb drive
6. apt-get -f install; apt-get autoremove ; apt-get clean
7. using dselect or aptitude or whatever install the kde4 desktop

The problem is that there are still many packages that do not "see" that I'm
in chroot and try to restart services while upgrading.
Do you know any solution to this?

Keeping kde3 and upgrading resulted in broken system (because of
dependencies few crucial packages were removed or prepared for installation
when apt-get died)

I short discussion would be appreciated

regards

Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,23.May.10, 13:01:42, deloptes wrote:

> The problem is that there are still many packages that do not "see" that I'm
> in chroot and try to restart services while upgrading.
> Do you know any solution to this?

See 'man invoke-rc.d' section INIT SCRIPT POLICY and
/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README-policy-rc.d

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 AM
deloptes

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> man invoke-rc.d

so it means that the packages does not handle the return value correctly?

what can be done for this?

regards