Old 05-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Mitchell Laks

Default "Give root password for maintence" during every boot of system

Hi,
I run debian sid. Sometime ago my system began to give me the message

"Give root password for maintainance
or type Control_D to continue "

during reboot of the system. It would occur after the boot messages

starting NFS (... etc)
starting sessions
setting console screen modes
initilizing random number generation
setting up X server
setting up ice socket directory

then I would get that cryptic root password mesage stuff mentioned above

Then,
if I hit C-d
the systen continues to boot
with

some messages about needing to add .conf suffix to some configuration files for kvm or something
then
INIT: Entering runlevel 2
starting system log daemon
etc.

So what is causing my system to need to enter Control D?

It is not a failure is fsck checking.

So what is going on?

Thanks,
Mitchell Laks

Old 05-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Merciadri Luca

Hi Mitchell,

You might add

==
|su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin|
==

in /etc/inittab.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Merciadri Luca

Please do not take into accounts the two `|' which were unfortunately
inserted at the beginning and at the end of the line of code.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

It pays to pay attention.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 23 May 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi Mitchell,
>
> You might add
>
> ==
> |su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin|
> ==
>
> in /etc/inittab.

But why was the OP getting the message in the first place? A couple of
weeks ago I was also getting it and then it went away as mysteriously as
it came.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Merciadri Luca

It might be a security policy, for him, that changed without realizing
it. But, for you, I don't know. I would be interested in knowing why
such things happen.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Laugh and the world laughs with you ... Cry and you will find no one
with tears.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Johan Kullstam

Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> writes:

> On 23 May 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> You might add
>>
>> ==
>> |su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin|
>> ==
>>
>> in /etc/inittab.
>>

> But why was the OP getting the message in the first place? A couple of
> weeks ago I was also getting it and then it went away as mysteriously as
> it came.

I don't know why you suddenly started getting it, but it is what you
have when booting to single-user-mode. The grub menu calls it "recovery
mode" and you can always get to it with "telinit 1". In my grub menu
list of kernels, I see the "recovery mode" coming right after the normal
mode for each kernel. I could see that if the line with normal mode was
disabled, missing or broken, grub might just skip down to recovery mode
which gives you the behavior.

--
Johan KULLSTAM

Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 23 May 2010, Johan Kullstam wrote:
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> writes:
>
> > On 23 May 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> >> Hi Mitchell,
> >>
> >> You might add
> >>
> >> ==
> >> |su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin|
> >> ==
> >>
> >> in /etc/inittab.
> >>

> > But why was the OP getting the message in the first place? A couple of
> > weeks ago I was also getting it and then it went away as mysteriously as
> > it came.
>
> I don't know why you suddenly started getting it, but it is what you
> have when booting to single-user-mode. The grub menu calls it "recovery
> mode" and you can always get to it with "telinit 1". In my grub menu
> list of kernels, I see the "recovery mode" coming right after the normal
> mode for each kernel. I could see that if the line with normal mode was
> disabled, missing or broken, grub might just skip down to recovery mode
> which gives you the behavior.

Yes, I know it's recovery mode but there didn't seem to be any reason
why it was coming up. Pressing Crtrl-D made everything happen normally.
Just one of the mysterious things that happen with computers, I suppose

Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 05-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-05-23 06:08 +0200, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> I run debian sid. Sometime ago my system began to give me the message
>
> "Give root password for maintainance
> or type Control_D to continue "
>
> during reboot of the system. It would occur after the boot messages
>
> starting NFS (... etc)
> starting sessions
> setting console screen modes
> initilizing random number generation
> setting up X server
> setting up ice socket directory
>
> then I would get that cryptic root password mesage stuff mentioned above

Please show the contents of /etc/rcS.d.

> Then,
> if I hit C-d
> the systen continues to boot
> with
>
> some messages about needing to add .conf suffix to some configuration files for kvm or something

These messages come from modprobe and are probably unrelated to your problem.

> then
> INIT: Entering runlevel 2
> starting system log daemon
> etc.
>
> So what is causing my system to need to enter Control D?

I have no idea, but you may want to try

# echo "CONCURRENCY=none" >> /etc/default/rcS

Sven

Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Tom H

> Mitchell Laks wrote:
>> I run debian sid. Sometime ago my system began to give me the message
>> "Give root password for maintainance
>> or type Control_D to continue "
>> during reboot of the system. It would occur after the boot messages
>> starting NFS (... etc)
>> starting sessions
>> setting console screen modes
>> initilizing random number generation
>> setting up X server
>> setting up ice socket directory
>>
>> then I would get that cryptic root password mesage stuff mentioned above
>> then, if I hit C-d the systen continues to boot with some messages about
>> needing to add .conf suffix to some configuration files for kvm or something
>> then
>> INIT: Entering runlevel 2
>> starting system log daemon

What is your default grub menu entry?