Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 AM

Default kvm disk read error

trying to install windows xp pro

the installation goes just fine but when I try to run the vm I get

Booting from hard disk
a disk read error occurred

I started with virt-manager, and got the above error messages.

then I found some potential fixes using the command line:

Here's the command lines I tried:

sudo kvm -m 512 -cdrom /dev/cdrom1 -boot d /var/lib/libvirt/images/windoze.img

sudo kvm -m 512 -cdrom /dev/cdrom1 -boot c /var/lib/libvirt/images/windoze.img

That didn't work either.

There's a bug filed against this problem with the EXCEEDINGLY UNHELPFUL advice to use the qemu command line to run things, without any sort of example of what those commands should look like.

Help ?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 05-23-2010, 12:59 AM
godo

the installation goes just fine but when I try to run the vm I get

Booting from hard disk
a disk read error occurred

I started with virt-manager, and got the above error messages.

then I found some potential fixes using the command line:

Here's the command lines I tried:

sudo kvm -m 512 -cdrom /dev/cdrom1 -boot d /var/lib/libvirt/images/windoze.img

sudo kvm -m 512 -cdrom /dev/cdrom1 -boot c /var/lib/libvirt/images/windoze.img

That didn't work either.

There's a bug filed against this problem with the EXCEEDINGLY UNHELPFUL advice to use the qemu command line to run things, without any sort of example of what those commands should look like.

Help ?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi,
There is aqemu. It is gui for qemu and it is really user friendly.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Archive: 4BF87E0C.2060206@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BF87E0C.2060206@dobosevic.com

Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat,22.May.10, 17:16:22, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> trying to install windows xp pro
>
> the installation goes just fine but when I try to run the vm I get

For what purpose do you want to run Windows? Maybe we can suggest better
alternatives (like VirtualBox, package virtualbox-ose).

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM

On Sun, 23 May 2010 10:46:52 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat,22.May.10, 17:16:22, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > trying to install windows xp pro
> >
> > the installation goes just fine but when I try to run the vm I get
>
> For what purpose do you want to run Windows? Maybe we can suggest
> better alternatives (like VirtualBox, package virtualbox-ose).

Unfortunately there are a couple of windows-only apps that I have to be
able to run. Right now I'm dual booting, and would like to avoid that
obviously.

I will look at virtualbox. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just installed kvm under centos and it worked flawlessly, I guess I'm
wondering why it's flat-busted broken under debian ?? I could
understand if it booted and there was some problem with winblows having
issues, but it can't even boot. That seems rather serious.

Brian

Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM

On Sun, 23 May 2010 10:46:52 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat,22.May.10, 17:16:22, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > trying to install windows xp pro
> >
> > the installation goes just fine but when I try to run the vm I get
>
> For what purpose do you want to run Windows? Maybe we can suggest
> better alternatives (like VirtualBox, package virtualbox-ose).
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
Please install the virtualbox-ose-dkms package and the
appropriate headers, most likely linux-headers-amd64.

after spending a lot of time with the (incorrect) wiki page and
package search, I can't make it work.

any advice ?

Brian

p.s. vboxdrv doesn't show up in the unstable package search !

Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,23.May.10, 12:45:02, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
> Please install the virtualbox-ose-dkms package and the
> appropriate headers, most likely linux-headers-amd64.
>
> after spending a lot of time with the (incorrect) wiki page and
> package search, I can't make it work.
>
> any advice ?

Yes, install the virtualbox-ose-dkms package

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,23.May.10, 11:32:09, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2010 10:46:52 +0300
> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat,22.May.10, 17:16:22, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > > trying to install windows xp pro
> > >
> > > the installation goes just fine but when I try to run the vm I get
> >
> > For what purpose do you want to run Windows? Maybe we can suggest
> > better alternatives (like VirtualBox, package virtualbox-ose).
> >

> Unfortunately there are a couple of windows-only apps that I have to be
> able to run. Right now I'm dual booting, and would like to avoid that
> obviously.

More details? Depending on the specific application(s) there might be
alternatives that you didn't think of.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM

On Sun, 23 May 2010 23:25:19 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun,23.May.10, 12:45:02, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> >
> > WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
> > Please install the virtualbox-ose-dkms package and the
> > appropriate headers, most likely linux-headers-amd64.
> >
> > after spending a lot of time with the (incorrect) wiki page and
> > package search, I can't make it work.
> >
> > any advice ?
>
> Yes, install the virtualbox-ose-dkms package

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
virtualbox-ose-dkms is already the newest version.

:-(

Brian

Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 PM
godo

the installation goes just fine but when I try to run the vm I get

For what purpose do you want to run Windows? Maybe we can suggest
better alternatives (like VirtualBox, package virtualbox-ose).

Regards,
Andrei

WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
Please install the virtualbox-ose-dkms package and the
appropriate headers, most likely linux-headers-amd64.

after spending a lot of time with the (incorrect) wiki page and
package search, I can't make it work.

any advice ?

Brian

p.s. vboxdrv doesn't show up in the unstable package search !

Do you have linux-headers?
Virtualbox think that you have amd64, so you will need
linux-headers-2.6.32-3-amd64. Change the number version with your kernel
version.

--

Archive: 4BF99921.4030704@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BF99921.4030704@dobosevic.com

Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,23.May.10, 13:43:53, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> > Yes, install the virtualbox-ose-dkms package
> >
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> virtualbox-ose-dkms is already the newest version.

During the (first) install did it mention something about building the
module? If so you might need to modprobe it first (it should be loaded
automatically on reboot though). If not, just

dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-ose-dkms

to force the (re)build of the module.

Regards,
Andrei