Old 05-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Default Re (6): xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video

From: Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:06:52 -0400 (EDT)
> As I explained in another post, yes, it is in Sid. If you need
> instructions for how to pull in the Sid kernel without upgrading
> your whole system to Sid, let me know and I can provide that.
> Also, you might try disabling ACPI and try the vesa driver,
> as explained in another post.

Got it. Our messages crossed. I'll probably get
back to this project next week and will finish the
neglected details about Lilo and test the suggestions
about acpi and vesa.

> If you need
> instructions for how to pull in the Sid kernel without upgrading
> your whole system ...

As far as I know this line should be appended to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ sid main
and then update and upgrade.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop".
In ETHNO click here -> Desktops.OpenDoc http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri,21.May.10, 11:55:52, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> > If you need
> > instructions for how to pull in the Sid kernel without upgrading
> > your whole system ...
>
> As far as I know this line should be appended to /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ sid main
> and then update and upgrade.

Yes, if you want to upgrade your whole system
Otherwise make sure you

# echo 'APT:efault-Release "squeeze";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

first and then install the kernel. You won't need special parameters
since the same package is not available in squeeze

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:55:52 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> If you need
>> instructions for how to pull in the Sid kernel without upgrading
>> your whole system ...
>
> As far as I know this line should be appended to /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ sid main
> and then update and upgrade.

Not unless you want to upgrade your entire system to Sid. To install
only certain cherry-picked applications from Sid, you have to use
apt pinning. And don't use synaptic. (But since you don't have X
running, you can't use synaptic. Yet. But once you get it running,
don't use synaptic. I've heard that it does not respect apt pinning.)

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 05-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Correction:
"# ~/.xinitrc
exec openbox" lets X stay running with the refresh
rate warning from the monitor.

"# ~/.xinitrc
exec ck-launch-session startlxde" gives the refresh
rate warning briefly before X exits.

From: Stephen Powell <zlinuxm..@wowway.c..>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 13:09:57 -0400 (EDT)
> ... back to
> first principles. When you installed Debian, did you select
> "Desktop Environment" from the tasksel menu? How did you
> install Debian? Did you boot from a CD?

Yes; a minimal CD/net installation using a Lenny
CD. Then desired packages were added with aptitude.

> Or did you initially select only "standard system" from the
> tasksel menu ...

I never use tasksel. Left the CD when the minimal
base system was installed and used aptitude/'net to
add packages.

> ... what packages did you install?

X, LXDE, Iceweasel, TightVNC, Alsa, VLC, Skype, Twinkle ...
I can post a dpkg -l if needed.

In Fall 2009 upgraded Lenny to Squeeze using aptitude.
Squeeze had no serious problems for a few months.
Then grub-pc failed. A week or two later X failed.

> What window manager do you intend to use?

LXDE. It works in Squeeze on a Toshiba 4000CDS laptop
and in Lenny on a generic pc.

> ... identify your monitor by manufacturer and model
> number. If you have the date of manufacture ...

NEC MultiSync FE700, 2001 January.

> I assume that you're using a standard 15-pin
> analog VGA connector on the back of your computer and a standard
> analog monitor.

Definitely and the Intel video chip is on the
mainboard of the NetVista. The hardware couldn't
be more ordinary, although it's old.

> Also, please post the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

# dalton:/etc/X11/xorg.conf created 2009-10-20.

Section "Device"
# Option "UseBIOS" "off"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

#Section "ServerFlags"
# Option "AutoEnableDevices" "true"
#EndSection

> ... the resulting /var/log/Xorg.0.log file that resulted when
> the server stayed running.

Ref.
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/dalton.Xorg.0.log

> P.S. Please remember to copy the list.

Sometimes I forget to fix the recipient address.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Carnot is waiting for a disk replacement; Web pages may not work.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Stephen Powell

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:22:31 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:

> Correction:
> "# ~/.xinitrc
> exec openbox" lets X stay running with the refresh
> rate warning from the monitor.

Now that you have a scenario that lets X stay running,
change your driver back to intel and see if it stays running.

> In Fall 2009 upgraded Lenny to Squeeze using aptitude.
> Squeeze had no serious problems for a few months.
> Then grub-pc failed. A week or two later X failed.

It's getting trickier and trickier to correctly do an
upgrade from one release to the next. You can't just
update your /etc/apt/sources.list file and run

aptitude update
aptitude full-upgrade

I tried that and got an unbootable system. You need to
follow the instructions in the release notes carefully
for an upgrade. And usually, the instructions in the
release notes are not accurate until *after* the release
becomes the stable release. If you have /home as
a separate partition, which I strongly recommend, then
I would suggest reinstalling squeeze from scratch,
formatting the / partition (but not /home). My personal
favorite is the netboot mini.iso image, burned to a CD.
For squeeze I would probably use the latest "daily build"
installer for your architecture (i386, amd64, etc.)
At least as of this moment, the Debian installer lets
you select lilo as an alternate boot loader during
installation.

>> What window manager do you intend to use?
>
> LXDE. It works in Squeeze on a Toshiba 4000CDS laptop
> and in Lenny on a generic pc.

There is a file that controls what applications are launched
when you start X. The last one listed is your window manager.
Years ago it was called .xsession. Maybe now its called
something else, like maybe .xinitrc? Compare these files
between a machine that's working and one that's not. It should
give you some clues.

>> ... identify your monitor by manufacturer and model
>> number. If you have the date of manufacture ...
>
> NEC MultiSync FE700, 2001 January.

That's new enough to support DDC2/EDID. Manual configuration
should not be necessary.

>> I assume that you're using a standard 15-pin
>> analog VGA connector on the back of your computer and a standard
>> analog monitor.
>
> Definitely and the Intel video chip is on the
> mainboard of the NetVista. The hardware couldn't
> be more ordinary, although it's old.

Good.

>> Also, please post the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
>
> # dalton:/etc/X11/xorg.conf created 2009-10-20.
>
> Section "Device"
> # Option "UseBIOS" "off"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Driver "vesa"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> DefaultDepth 16
> Subsection "Display"
>
> Depth 16
> Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Default Layout"
> Screen "Default Screen"
> EndSection
>
> #Section "ServerFlags"
> # Option "AutoEnableDevices" "true"
> #EndSection

As I said before, change back to intel, now that you have something
that stays running. Based on the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log,
we may need to change the Modes line. It used to be that the
default modelines were called "1024x768", "800x600", etc. But
based on the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, the names may have changed
slightly. But I want to wait and see what the output looks like
with the intel driver. But one thing at a time.
Please consider a reinstall first. Who knows how many other hidden
problems are lurking in your system.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Thu May 27 00:30:01 2010
by yourcpanelserver.com with ESMTPA; 26 May 2010 21:23:00 -0000
mime-version: 1.0
from: "Avail Beauty" <effa.availbeauty@gmail.com>
sender: "Avail Beauty" <effa.availbeauty@gmail.com>
to: debian-user@lists.debian.org
reply-to: effa.availbeauty@yahoo.com
date: 26 May 2010 17:22:58 -0400
subject: PAD BUKAN HANYA UNTUK WANITA
content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary=--boundary_1824_fecce9d4-aa8f-452e-b99c-5506cb97572f

----boundary_1824_fecce9d4-aa8f-452e-b99c-5506cb97572f
content-type: multipart/alternative; boundary=--boundary_1825_6513747a-4a76-40bd-b2e7-3c36c45157f9

----boundary_1825_6513747a-4a76-40bd-b2e7-3c36c45157f9
content-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
content-transfer-encoding: base64

RkMgQklPIFNBTklUQVJZIFBBRCAoUEFEIEJFUkhFUkJBKQ0KTW VuZ2FuZHVuZ2kgMTcgamVu
aXMgaGVyYmEgeWFuZyB0ZXJwaWxpaCB5YW5nIG1lbWJhbnR1IG 1lbmNlZ2FoIGRhbiBtZXJh
d2F0IG1hc2FsYWggc2FraXQgUHVhbi4NCg0KS2ViYWlrYW5ueW E6DQp+TWVuY2VnYWggSmFu
Z2tpdGFuIEt1bWFuDQp+TWVuZ2hpbGFuZ2thbiBTZW5nZ3VndX QNCn5NZW5naGlsYW5na2Fu
IEJhdQ0Kfk1lbWJ1YW5nIEFuZ2luIFBlcnV0DQp+TWVuZ2hpbG FuZ2thbiBLZWdhdGFsYW4s
S2VwdXRpaGFuLCYgS2VrdW5pbmdhbg0Kfk1lbmd1cmFuZ2thbi BSYXNhIFRpZGFrIFNlbGVz
YSBLZXRpa2EgSGFpZA0Kfk1lbmdhd2FsYXR1ciBLaXRhcmFuIE hhaWQNCn5NZW55aW5na2ly
a2FuIERhcmFoIEJla3UgRGxtIFJhaGltDQp+TWVuY2VnYWggRW 5kb21ldHJpb3Npcw0Kfk1l
bnl1YnVya2FuIFJhaGltDQp+TWVuZ2F0YXNpIEZpYnJvaWQsU3 ljdCxLYW5zZXIgUmFoaW0s
S2Fuc2VyIFNlcnZpa3MNCn4xMDAlIEthcGFzIChUaWFkYSBCYW hhbiBLaW1pYSkNCn5EaSBp
bnN1cmFua2FuIFNlYmFueWFrIFJNM2p1dGENCg0KVHVrYXIgUG FkIEJpYXNhIGtlcGFkYSBQ
YWQgSGVyYmEgQXZhaWwgc2VrYXJhbmcganVnYSEuLg0KDQogQX R1ciB0ZW11amFuamkgYW5k
YSBkZW5nYW4gc2F5YSA6LQ0KIENhbGwgYXRhdSBzbXMgTkFNQS AmIExPS0FTSSBrZSAgPDAx
OSAyOTYyOTM0Pg0KIEVtYWlsOiAgICBlZmZhLmF2YWlsYmVhdX R5QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ==
----boundary_1825_6513747a-4a76-40bd-b2e7-3c36c45157f9
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
content-transfer-encoding: base64

PCFET0NUWVBFIEhUTUwgUFVCTElDICItLy9XM0MvL0RURCBIVE 1MIDQuMCBUcmFuc2l0aW9u
YWwvL0VOIj4NCjxIVE1MPjxIRUFEPg0KPE1FVEEgaHR0cC1lcX Vpdj1Db250ZW50LVR5cGUg
Y29udGVudD0idGV4dC9odG1sOyBjaGFyc2V0PXVuaWNvZGUiPg 0KPE1FVEEgY29udGVudD0i
TVNIVE1MIDYuMDAuMzc5MC4zMDQxIiBuYW1lPUdFTkVSQVRPUj 48L0hFQUQ+DQo8Qk9EWT4N
CjxQIHN0eWxlPSJNQVJHSU46IDBpbiAwaW4gMHB0Ij48Qj48Rk 9OVCBmYWNlPUNhbGlicmk+
RkMgQklPIFNBTklUQVJZIFBBRCAoUEFEIA0KQkVSSEVSQkEpPC 9GT05UPjwvQj48L1A+DQo8
UCBzdHlsZT0iTUFSR0lOOiAwaW4gMGluIDBwdCI+PEZPTlQgZm FjZT1DYWxpYnJpPk1lbmdh
bmR1bmdpIDE3IGplbmlzIGhlcmJhIA0KeWFuZyB0ZXJwaWxpaC B5YW5nIG1lbWJhbnR1IG1l
bmNlZ2FoIGRhbiBtZXJhd2F0IG1hc2FsYWggc2FraXQgUHVhbi 48L0ZPTlQ+PC9QPg0KPFAg
c3R5bGU9Ik1BUkdJTjogMGluIDBpbiAwcHQiPjxGT05UIGZhY2 U9Q2FsaWJyaT48L0ZPTlQ+
Jm5ic3A7PC9QPg0KPFAgc3R5bGU9Ik1BUkdJTjogMGluIDBpbi AwcHQiPjxCPjxGT05UIGZh
Y2U9Q2FsaWJyaT5LZWJhaWthbm55YTo8L0ZPTlQ+PC9CPjwvUD 4NCjxQIHN0eWxlPSJNQVJH
SU46IDBpbiAwaW4gMHB0Ij48Rk9OVCBmYWNlPUNhbGlicmk+fk 1lbmNlZ2FoIEphbmdraXRh
biANCkt1bWFuPC9GT05UPjwvUD4NCjxQIHN0eWxlPSJNQVJHSU 46IDBpbiAwaW4gMHB0Ij48
Rk9OVCBmYWNlPUNhbGlicmk+fk1lbmdoaWxhbmdrYW4gDQpTZW 5nZ3VndXQ8L0ZPTlQ+PC9Q
Pg0KPFAgc3R5bGU9Ik1BUkdJTjogMGluIDBpbiAwcHQiPjxGT0 5UIGZhY2U9Q2FsaWJyaT5+
TWVuZ2hpbGFuZ2thbiBCYXU8L0ZPTlQ+PC9QPg0KPFAgc3R5bG U9Ik1BUkdJTjogMGluIDBp
biAwcHQiPjxGT05UIGZhY2U9Q2FsaWJyaT5+TWVtYnVhbmcgQW 5naW4gDQpQZXJ1dDwvRk9O
VD48L1A+DQo8UCBzdHlsZT0iTUFSR0lOOiAwaW4gMGluIDBwdC I+PEZPTlQgZmFjZT1DYWxp
YnJpPn5NZW5naGlsYW5na2FuIA0KS2VnYXRhbGFuLEtlcHV0aW hhbiwmYW1wOyBLZWt1bmlu
Z2FuPC9GT05UPjwvUD4NCjxQIHN0eWxlPSJNQVJHSU46IDBpbi AwaW4gMHB0Ij48Rk9OVCBm
YWNlPUNhbGlicmk+fk1lbmd1cmFuZ2thbiBSYXNhIFRpZGFrIA 0KU2VsZXNhIEtldGlrYSBI
YWlkPC9GT05UPjwvUD4NCjxQIHN0eWxlPSJNQVJHSU46IDBpbi AwaW4gMHB0Ij48Rk9OVCBm
YWNlPUNhbGlicmk+fk1lbmdhd2FsYXR1ciBLaXRhcmFuIA0KSG FpZDwvRk9OVD48L1A+DQo8
UCBzdHlsZT0iTUFSR0lOOiAwaW4gMGluIDBwdCI+PEZPTlQgZm FjZT1DYWxpYnJpPn5NZW55
aW5na2lya2FuIERhcmFoIEJla3UgRGxtIA0KUmFoaW08L0ZPTl Q+PC9QPg0KPFAgc3R5bGU9
Ik1BUkdJTjogMGluIDBpbiAwcHQiPjxGT05UIGZhY2U9Q2FsaW JyaT5+TWVuY2VnYWggDQpF
bmRvbWV0cmlvc2lzPC9GT05UPjwvUD4NCjxQIHN0eWxlPSJNQV JHSU46IDBpbiAwaW4gMHB0
Ij48Rk9OVCBmYWNlPUNhbGlicmk+fk1lbnl1YnVya2FuIFJhaG ltPC9GT05UPjwvUD4NCjxQ
IHN0eWxlPSJNQVJHSU46IDBpbiAwaW4gMHB0Ij48Rk9OVCBmYW NlPUNhbGlicmk+fk1lbmdh
dGFzaSBGaWJyb2lkLFN5Y3QsS2Fuc2VyIA0KUmFoaW0sS2Fuc2 VyIFNlcnZpa3M8L0ZPTlQ+
PC9QPg0KPFAgc3R5bGU9Ik1BUkdJTjogMGluIDBpbiAwcHQiPj xGT05UIGZhY2U9Q2FsaWJy
aT5+MTAwJSBLYXBhcyAoVGlhZGEgQmFoYW4gDQpLaW1pYSk8L0 ZPTlQ+PC9QPg0KPFAgc3R5
bGU9Ik1BUkdJTjogMGluIDBpbiAwcHQiPjxGT05UIGZhY2U9Q2 FsaWJyaT5+RGkgaW5zdXJh
bmthbiBTZWJhbnlhayANClJNM2p1dGE8L0ZPTlQ+PC9QPg0KPF AgY2xhc3M9TXNvTm9ybWFs
IHN0eWxlPSJNQVJHSU46IDBpbiAwaW4gMTBwdCI+PEZPTlQgDQ pmYWNlPUNhbGlicmk+PC9G
T05UPiZuYnNwOzwvUD4NCjxQIHN0eWxlPSJNQVJHSU46IDBpbi AwaW4gMHB0Ij48Rk9OVCBm
YWNlPUNhbGlicmk+VHVrYXIgUGFkIEJpYXNhIGtlcGFkYSBQYW QgDQpIZXJiYSBBdmFpbCBz
ZWthcmFuZyBqdWdhIS4uPC9GT05UPjwvUD4NCjxQIHN0eWxlPS JNQVJHSU46IDBpbiAwaW4g
MHB0Ij48Rk9OVCBmYWNlPUNhbGlicmk+PC9GT05UPiZuYnNwOz wvUD4NCjxQIHN0eWxlPSJN
QVJHSU46IDBpbiAwaW4gMHB0Ij48Rk9OVCBmYWNlPUNhbGlicm k+PFNQQU4+Jm5ic3A7PC9T
UEFOPkF0dXIgDQp0ZW11amFuamkgYW5kYSBkZW5nYW4gc2F5YS A6LTwvRk9OVD48L1A+DQo8
UCBjbGFzcz1Nc29Ob3JtYWwgc3R5bGU9IkJBQ0tHUk9VTkQ6IH doaXRlOyBNQVJHSU46IDBp
biAzcHQgMTBwdCAwaW4iPjxGT05UIA0KZmFjZT1DYWxpYnJpPi ZuYnNwO0NhbGwgYXRhdSBz
bXMgTkFNQSAmYW1wOyBMT0tBU0kga2U8U1BBTj4mbmJzcDsgPC 9TUEFOPiZsdDswMTkgDQoy
OTYyOTM0Jmd0OzwvRk9OVD48L1A+DQo8UCBjbGFzcz1Nc29Ob3 JtYWwgc3R5bGU9IkJBQ0tH
Uk9VTkQ6IHdoaXRlOyBNQVJHSU46IDBpbiAzcHQgMTBwdCAwaW 4iPjxGT05UIA0KZmFjZT1D
YWxpYnJpPiZuYnNwOzwvRk9OVD48Rk9OVCBmYWNlPUNhbGlicm k+RW1haWw6PFNQQU4+Jm5i
c3A7Jm5ic3A7Jm5ic3A7IA0KPC9TUEFOPjwvRk9OVD48Qj48U1 BBTiBzdHlsZT0iRk9OVC1T
SVpFOiAxMHB0OyBDT0xPUjogYmxhY2siPjxBIA0KaHJlZj0ibW FpbHRvOmVmZmEuYXZhaWxi
ZWF1dHlAZ21haWwuY29tIiANCnRhcmdldD1fYmxhbms+ZWZmYS 5hdmFpbGJlYXV0eUBnbWFp
bC5jb208L0E+PC9TUEFOPjwvQj48L1A+PC9CT0RZPjwvSFRNTD 4=