Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 PM
roberto

Default partitioning a new hard disk

hello,
a friend gave me a laptop (sony vaio) where i want to install debian
squeeze (in dual boot);
actually the disk is partitioned as follows (output from mount
command, #'s are my comments):

# total 82.25 GB 82.25 free, extended partition, ntfs
/dev/sda2 on /media/VAIO type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,b lksize=4096)

# total 93.14 GB, 60.35 free, primary partition, ntfs
/dev/sda5 on /media/VAIO_ type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,b lksize=4096)

how would you repartitionate the disk, since i have to leave a certain
amount of space for Xp for other users ?
i thought about installing debian next to the VAIO_ partition and then
use the other partition VAIO for read and write

thank you in advance
--
roberto

Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:38:53 +0200, roberto wrote:

> hello,
> a friend gave me a laptop (sony vaio) where i want to install debian
> squeeze (in dual boot);
> actually the disk is partitioned as follows (output from mount command,
> #'s are my comments):

(...)

Better than "mount" issue "fdisk -l" and put the output.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 PM
roberto

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:38:53 +0200, roberto wrote:
>
>> hello,
>> a friend gave me a laptop (sony vaio) where i want to install debian
>> squeeze (in dual boot);
>> actually the disk is partitioned as follows (output from mount command,
>> #'s are my comments):
>
> (...)
>
> Better than "mount" issue "fdisk -l" and put the output.

actually, fdisk -l does not output nothing

i also tried to issue
fdisk /dev/sda
and it prints
"unable to open /dev/sda"

i am using an ubuntu live cd

--
roberto

Old 05-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri,21.May.10, 22:26:12, roberto wrote:

> actually, fdisk -l does not output nothing
>
> i also tried to issue
> fdisk /dev/sda
> and it prints
> "unable to open /dev/sda"
>
> i am using an ubuntu live cd

Try

sudo fdisk -l

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Ron Johnson

a friend gave me a laptop (sony vaio) where i want to install debian
squeeze (in dual boot);
actually the disk is partitioned as follows (output from mount
command, #'s are my comments):

# total 82.25 GB 82.25 free, extended partition, ntfs
/dev/sda2 on /media/VAIO type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,b lksize=4096)

# total 93.14 GB, 60.35 free, primary partition, ntfs
/dev/sda5 on /media/VAIO_ type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,b lksize=4096)

how would you repartitionate the disk, since i have to leave a certain
amount of space for Xp for other users ?
i thought about installing debian next to the VAIO_ partition and then
use the other partition VAIO for read and write

Which is the "real" XP partition, sda2 or sda5?

If nothing's on sda5, then that should be more than enough for a
laptop install.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Archive: 4BF73318.1070505@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BF73318.1070505@cox.net

Old 05-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Mark

a friend gave me a laptop (sony vaio) where i want to install debian

squeeze (in dual boot);

[snip]

how would you repartitionate the disk, since i have to leave a certain

amount of space for Xp for other users ?

i thought about installing debian next to the VAIO_ partition and then

use the other partition VAIO for read and write

What I do in dual boot situations (starting from center of hdd working towards the outside) is have 20 GB for XP, 20 GB for Debian (2 GB of that is swap space), then a fat32 partition for the remainder of the disk called "storage" or something similar, that gets mounted in XP as E: drive for example, and in Debian by editing /etc/fstab.* I choose fat32 becuase of it's native read/write support in Windows and Debian - ntfs could work though with ntfs-3g.* You can use jkdefraggui (freeware) in XP to move all files to the start of the partition before re-sizing so the re-partitioning doesn't mess up XP.* It's worked for me several times when adding Debian to an XP-only drive.

Just my thoughts, take or leave as you wish.* Good luck either way.

Mark

Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM
roberto

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> Which is the "real" XP partition, sda2 or sda5?
>
> If nothing's on sda5, then that should be more than enough for a laptop
> install.

it seems i am not an Xp expert anymore ...

i totally missed that the VAIO_ (aka D partition is totally empty

i'll place squeeze there
--
roberto