Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 AM
David Hoff Jr

Default Non Working Keyboard

I have an older computer which use to have Windows XP on it. It currently has Vinux 3.0 on it. I downloaded the Debian I386 installation version of 5.0.4 ISO and burned it to CD. When I try to install it, I get an opening screen with an installation menu which then freezes. I have no apparent keyboard input, and of course no mouse.

I tried the same CD on a newer computer and it first brings up an option to choose my language and then brings up the installation menu which is accessible from my keyboard. It then brings up a license screen. At that point I abort the install.

What do I need to do to install this to the older computer which has an AMD 1500+ mz processor.

David Hoff Jr

Old 05-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Klistvud

I have an older computer which use to have Windows XP on it. It
currently has Vinux 3.0 on it. I downloaded the Debian I386
installation version of 5.0.4 ISO and burned it to CD. When I try to
install it, I get an opening screen with an installation menu which
then freezes. I have no apparent keyboard input, and of course no
mouse.

I tried the same CD on a newer computer and it first brings up an
option to choose my language and then brings up the installation menu
which is accessible from my keyboard. It then brings up a license
screen. At that point I abort the install.

What do I need to do to install this to the older computer which has
an AMD 1500+ mz processor.

David Hoff Jr

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20100520175613.0375.3BF3CFEE@att.net

From the symptoms you describe, and ruling out bad RAM (you HAVE of
course checked for bad RAM, haven't you?), my first guess would be "an
aging optical drive, combined with a flakily burnt CD". Such
combinations can prove hard to overcome. Suggestions: temporarily
installing a newer optical drive into the box; or burning another CD,
preferably on a different drive/machine, and on different brand of
media, and at the slowest burning rate available; or perhaps, for the
adventurous at heart, even asking uncle Google about "installing Debian
directly from an ISO file on the hard drive, without burning a CD".

--
Regards, and luck,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Old 05-22-2010, 11:55 AM

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:55:13PM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 21. 05. 2010 02:56:32 je David Hoff Jr napisal(a):
> > I have an older computer which use to have Windows XP on it. It
> > currently has Vinux 3.0 on it. I downloaded the Debian I386
> > installation version of 5.0.4 ISO and burned it to CD. When I try to
> > install it, I get an opening screen with an installation menu which
> > then freezes. I have no apparent keyboard input, and of course no
> > mouse.
> >
> > I tried the same CD on a newer computer and it first brings up an
> > option to choose my language and then brings up the installation menu
> > which is accessible from my keyboard. It then brings up a license
> > screen. At that point I abort the install.
> >
> > What do I need to do to install this to the older computer which has
> > an AMD 1500+ mz processor.
>
> From the symptoms you describe, and ruling out bad RAM (you HAVE of
> course checked for bad RAM, haven't you?), my first guess would be "an
> aging optical drive, combined with a flakily burnt CD". Such
> combinations can prove hard to overcome. Suggestions: temporarily
> installing a newer optical drive into the box; or burning another CD,
> preferably on a different drive/machine, and on different brand of
> media, and at the slowest burning rate available; or perhaps, for the
> adventurous at heart, even asking uncle Google about "installing Debian
> directly from an ISO file on the hard drive, without burning a CD".

...or a bootable USB-stick.

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB