Old 05-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Default Re (3): xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video

From: Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway....>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:57:26 -0400 (EDT)

Now at http://carnot.yi.org/dalton.lilo.conf .

> The only way [acpi] should fail is if
> you have a kernel boot parameter to disable it.

I hope so, but the output from
find /etc/ -type f -exec grep "acpi" {} ; -print
seems complex enough for snags to happen.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop".
In ETHNO click here -> Desktops.OpenDoc http://carnot.yi.org/.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM

From: Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway....>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:57:26 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry; make that http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/dalton.lilo.conf .

> The only way [acpi] should fail is if
> you have a kernel boot parameter to disable it.

I hope so, but the output from
find /etc/ -type f -exec grep "acpi" {} ; -print
seems complex enough for a snag to exist.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:16:53 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Please post your /etc/lilo.conf file.
>
> Sorry; make that http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/dalton.lilo.conf .
>>
>> The only way [acpi] should fail is if
>> you have a kernel boot parameter to disable it.
>
> I hope so, but the output from
> find /etc/ -type f -exec grep "acpi" {} ; -print
> seems complex enough for a snag to exist.

After a cursory examination I didn't see anything obviously wrong
in your lilo.conf file, although I would recommend using the "optional"
flag in the section for "LinuxOld". But I didn't see any "append"
option which would be passing kernel boot parameters. From a quick
search of the internet, there does appear to be some relationship
between Memory Type Range Registers (MTRR) and Advanced Configuration
and Power Interface (ACPI). I would investigate that. Check the
output of

dmesg|less

and

less /var/log/syslog

and other sources of kernel messages to see if you can find the
problem. Maybe something is disabled in your BIOS setup program that
shouldn't be.

I've never seen a modeline rejected in Xorg.0.log for "(unknown reason)"
before. That disturbs me. It usually tells you why (pixel clock too high,
horizontal sync out of range, vertical sync out of range, etc.).
But "unknown reason" is a new one on me. It apparently passed all the
sanity checks that the X server made on it, but when it tried to use
the mode it got some kind of error. I suspect that something not
directly related to X is causing X to have a problem of some sort.
Sorry I can't be more specific at this point.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :