Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 AM
"groups, freeman"

Default Console: Laptop vs backlight-off problem

Howdy, I have a Debian Lenny system in console-only mode (no X, etc)
running on a Toshiba Tecra S1.

I'd like the LCD backlight to turn off after a period of inactivity but
can't seem to make it happen.

I've tried via setterm (e.g. 'setterm -blank 1 -powersave powerdown
-powerdown 2') and the screen-blanking time is properly adjusted but the
backlight never turns off. (I've tried changing it to include
'-powersave <all_available_options>' with no successes either, as well
as invoking the commands one-at-a-time instead of as a single large
command line.)

Manually using vbetool ('vbetool dpms off/on') does properly turn off/on
the backlight so the underlying hardware & DPMS support seems in place,
but obviously I'd like it to happen automagically.

Am I missing something obvious or is there a silver bullet that I need?

TIA for any assistance, and for Debian!

Archive: 4BF4FF52.7080306@reason.dyndns.org">http://lists.debian.org/4BF4FF52.7080306@reason.dyndns.org

Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 20 May 2010 05:22:26 -0400, groups, freeman wrote:

(...)

> I've tried via setterm (e.g. 'setterm -blank 1 -powersave powerdown
> -powerdown 2') and the screen-blanking time is properly adjusted but the
> backlight never turns off. (I've tried changing it to include
> '-powersave <all_available_options>' with no successes either, as well
> as invoking the commands one-at-a-time instead of as a single large
> command line.)

Have your checked "/etc/console-tools/config" file?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
"groups, freeman"

Camaleón wrote:

Have your checked "/etc/console-tools/config" file?
Yeah, seems to behave identically as setterm does - works for changing
screen_blank timeout but I had no success with setting anything that
would cause the backlight to extinguish : (

Thx tho!

Archive: 4BF58F6F.5000506@reason.dyndns.org">http://lists.debian.org/4BF58F6F.5000506@reason.dyndns.org

Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 20 May 2010 15:37:19 -0400, groups, freeman wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> Have your checked "/etc/console-tools/config" file?

> Yeah, seems to behave identically as setterm does - works for changing
> screen_blank timeout but I had no success with setting anything that
> would cause the backlight to extinguish : (

So... "vbetool" does works but "setterm" does not.

How about this? :-?

***
Re: on a laptop... how to disable the backlight?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7386521&postcount=9
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 PM
"groups, freeman"

Cool, thx for that find!

I've played a bit, at first it was looking hopeless, after logging in
I'd get backlight=off and dead tty - couldn't even reboot since that
would cause full hang (though I could login via ssh, until I hung it via
reboot that is).

Discovered that a 'stty rows 50 cols 132' command was causing my pain
(as does the more conventional rows 50 cols 80). So I now have:

- 'video=uvesafb:640x480-8,mtrr:0,redraw' in my append statement
- 'uvesafb' added to /etc/modules
- that stty command commented out
- 80 x 30 console (really want my 50x80 back)
- backlight goes off on timer
- everybody comes back alive upon keypress
- screen/tty doesn't hang at login

Thx again!

Camaleón wrote:

How about this? :-?