FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-19-2010, 07:32 PM
 
Default xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video; was Re (6): Re^n: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:32:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway....>
> Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as well.

It contains only commented lines from previous
experiments. Hasn't changed since the log was
recorded. Should be visible here.

http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/dalton.xorg.conf

Regards, ... Peter E.


--
Google "pathology workshop".
In ETHNO click here -> Desktops.OpenDoc http://carnot.yi.org/.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 171056499.51201.49362.@cantor.invalid">http://lists.debian.org/171056499.51201.49362.@cantor.invalid
 
Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video; was Re (6): Re^n: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:32:01 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as well.
>
> It contains only commented lines from previous
> experiments. Hasn't changed since the log was
> recorded. Should be visible here.
>
> http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/dalton.xorg.conf
>

I see. All comments. Which is about the same as not having one. Hmm.
Well, going back to an earlier post:

On Tue, 11 May 2010 16:29:39 -0700, Peter Easthope wrote:
> dalton:/home/peter# startx
> ...
> (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
> SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling X server
>
> waiting for X server to shut down ...
>
> dalton:/home/peter#

What puzzles me is the message, "waiting for server to shut down". What
caused that error? Did you do a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to request a shutdown?
Or did it shutdown automatically? If so, what caused the error? Was it
the "/dev/fb0: No such file or directory" error? Or was it SELinux-related?
I've never had any SELinux-related problems on my system. Just for grins,
let's try an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that looks like this:

-----

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

-----

This forces it to use the intel driver or die. It won't try any other.
And it gives it three standard resolutions to try.
Maybe we can tweak it later, but let's see if it will
at least display something.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 422028168.273101.1274304558003.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/422028168.273101.1274304558003.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com
 
Old 05-21-2010, 10:55 PM
David Jardine
 
Default xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video; was Re (6): Re^n: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 05:29:18PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:32:01 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:
> > Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as well.
> >
> > It contains only commented lines from previous
> > experiments. Hasn't changed since the log was
> > recorded. Should be visible here.
> >
> > http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/dalton.xorg.conf
> >
>
> I see. All comments. Which is about the same as not having one. Hmm.

Or is it? I'm as baffled as anyone alse by xorg configuration, but
can't such a file, blank though it be, override some other config file?
Just a thought.

David


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100521225534.GB1827@gennes.augarten">http://lists.debian.org/20100521225534.GB1827@gennes.augarten
 
Old 05-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video; was Re (6): Re^n: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

On Sat,22.May.10, 00:55:34, David Jardine wrote:
> >
> > I see. All comments. Which is about the same as not having one. Hmm.
>
> Or is it? I'm as baffled as anyone alse by xorg configuration, but
> can't such a file, blank though it be, override some other config file?
> Just a thought.

It's not impossible to have different logic for when the file exists,
even if entirely commented out[1]. I can think of two ways to check
this:

- read the source
- diff Xorg.0.log files from starting X with an empty (or completely
commented out) xorg.conf and one with an xorg.conf specifying the same
driver X would choose.

[1] at least in shell scripts it's much easier to check for the
existence of a file than parsing its contents

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 05-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video; was Re (6): Re^n: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

On Sat, 22 May 2010 03:13:06 -0400 (EDT), Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat,22.May.10, 00:55:34, David Jardine wrote:
>> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> I see. All comments. Which is about the same as not having one. Hmm.
>>
>> Or is it? I'm as baffled as anyone alse by xorg configuration, but
>> can't such a file, blank though it be, override some other config file?
>> Just a thought.
>
> It's not impossible to have different logic for when the file exists,
> even if entirely commented out[1]. I can think of two ways to check
> this:
>
> - read the source
> - diff Xorg.0.log files from starting X with an empty (or completely
> commented out) xorg.conf and one with an xorg.conf specifying the same
> driver X would choose.
>
> [1] at least in shell scripts it's much easier to check for the
> existence of a file than parsing its contents

That's a good point. That's another thing he can try: erasing or renaming
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. But I suspect he's already tried that.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1270201588.348778.1274572124208.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1270201588.348778.1274572124208.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org