Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Vince Vielhaber

Default Moving a drive to another computer

A friend was running windows and the viruses got the best of it. She
sent me the drive so I could get her pics and documents off of it and
put 5.0.4 on it and send it back (she's a few states away).

What problems (and solutions) should I be expecting when she installs
the drive in her computer? I'm assuming the network setup will be one
problem.

My background is mainly in FreeBSD. If a drive is set up as being
/dev/ad0 and the other machine sees it as /dev/ad4 it won't complete
the boot, it'll complain with a cannot mount root error. Will that be
an issue with Debian?

Thanks!
Vince.
--
Michigan VHF Corp. http://www.nobucks.net/ http://www.CDupe.com/

Archive: Pine.BSF.4.64.1005191240350.46861@paprika.michvhf. com">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSF.4.64.1005191240350.46861@paprika.michvhf. com

Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,19.May.10, 12:46:53, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> A friend was running windows and the viruses got the best of it. She
> sent me the drive so I could get her pics and documents off of it and
> put 5.0.4 on it and send it back (she's a few states away).
>
> What problems (and solutions) should I be expecting when she installs
> the drive in her computer? I'm assuming the network setup will be one
> problem.

Yes. interfaces(5) will tell you all you need for the configuration
part, but before you send the drive don't forget to delete
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. This is the file responsible
for mapping network interfaces to names by MAC. Wired interfaces are
called eth0, eth1 and so on. Pray she doesn't have more than one
(including any firewire adapter) otherwise it can get tricky.

> My background is mainly in FreeBSD. If a drive is set up as being
> /dev/ad0 and the other machine sees it as /dev/ad4 it won't complete
> the boot, it'll complain with a cannot mount root error. Will that be
> an issue with Debian?

Could be. The newer installer will setup fstab with UUIDs, but don't
know about 5.0.4 (lenny). You can still modify it yourself though. Use
blkid(8) (package util-linux) to find out the UUIDs and replace

/dev/hda1 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1

with

UUID=<realy long hex string that is the UUID> / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1

(assuming /dev/hda1 is the root partition)

Grub (the boot loader) can also be an issue, especially since its 'root'
parameter can not use LABEL or UUID. If this is the only drive in the
computer and the root partition is the first one you probably need

root (hd0,0)

and you also need to pass the correct UUID as a kernel parameter.
Replace 'root=/dev/hda1' with 'root=UUID=<the very long hex string>.

Do not edit the stanzas directly, but read the comments at the beginning
of the file. You have to edit (from memory) the 'groot' and 'kopt'
parameters, after which you have to run 'update-grub'.

Hope I didn't miss anything. There was also recently a thread about
this, you should look it up.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Michael Kjorling

On May 19 2010 12:46 -0400, from vev@michvhf.com (Vince Vielhaber):
> What problems (and solutions) should I be expecting when she installs
> the drive in her computer? I'm assuming the network setup will be one
> problem.

If you use a generic kernel binary and install most variations of
hardware-specific packages (thinking xserver-xorg-video-*, for
example), my experience is that the issues should be minimal. The
default Debian installation does this.

> My background is mainly in FreeBSD. If a drive is set up as being
> /dev/ad0 and the other machine sees it as /dev/ad4 it won't complete
> the boot, it'll complain with a cannot mount root error. Will that be
> an issue with Debian?

You can use UUIDs instead of physical devices, and the kernel will
find the partition in question regardless of where it is physically
hooked up. The main downside is that UUIDs are rather opaque, but
unless your friend is planning on having a lot of drives in her PC or
mess around with /etc/fstab and the boot loader configuration, this
should be a non-issue. If it is, look up "labels" - they work largely
the same but are human-assigned and human-readable.

As far as I have gathered, whenever Linux expects a physical device
node such as /dev/hda2 or /dev/sdb1, you can instead pass a string on
the format "UUID=<long-hexstring-with-dashes>". So an example fstab
entry might look like this:

UUID=1e7c6b1a-5c25-4efa-866c-9a6a086b0292 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1

In the boot loader configuration, you'd pass the same kind of string
to the kernel through the "root" parameter, like so:

kernel /kernel-binary root=UUID=1e7c6b1a-5c... ro ...

The contents of /dev/disk/by-uuid & Co will be very helpful.

--
Michael Kjörling .. michael@kjorling.se .. http://michael.kjorling.se
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Andrei Popescu put forth on 5/19/2010 12:29 PM:
> On Wed,19.May.10, 12:46:53, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>>
>> A friend was running windows and the viruses got the best of it. She
>> sent me the drive so I could get her pics and documents off of it and
>> put 5.0.4 on it and send it back (she's a few states away).
>>
>> What problems (and solutions) should I be expecting when she installs
>> the drive in her computer? I'm assuming the network setup will be one
>> problem.
>
> Yes. interfaces(5) will tell you all you need for the configuration
> part, but before you send the drive don't forget to delete
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. This is the file responsible
> for mapping network interfaces to names by MAC. Wired interfaces are
> called eth0, eth1 and so on. Pray she doesn't have more than one
> (including any firewire adapter) otherwise it can get tricky.
>
>> My background is mainly in FreeBSD. If a drive is set up as being
>> /dev/ad0 and the other machine sees it as /dev/ad4 it won't complete
>> the boot, it'll complain with a cannot mount root error. Will that be
>> an issue with Debian?
>
> Could be. The newer installer will setup fstab with UUIDs, but don't
> know about 5.0.4 (lenny). You can still modify it yourself though. Use
> blkid(8) (package util-linux) to find out the UUIDs and replace
>
> /dev/hda1 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
>
> with
>
> UUID=<realy long hex string that is the UUID> / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
>
> (assuming /dev/hda1 is the root partition)
>
> Grub (the boot loader) can also be an issue, especially since its 'root'
> parameter can not use LABEL or UUID. If this is the only drive in the
> computer and the root partition is the first one you probably need
>
> root (hd0,0)
>
> and you also need to pass the correct UUID as a kernel parameter.
> Replace 'root=/dev/hda1' with 'root=UUID=<the very long hex string>.
>
> Do not edit the stanzas directly, but read the comments at the beginning
> of the file. You have to edit (from memory) the 'groot' and 'kopt'
> parameters, after which you have to run 'update-grub'.
>
> Hope I didn't miss anything. There was also recently a thread about
> this, you should look it up.

This is why one should always ship the chassis to the geek friend hero,
instead of just the disk. Sure it costs more, but one desires everything to
work upon receiving the package back from UPS/Fed Ex etc doesn't s/he? [1][2]

[1] Cutting corners is the greatest cause of heartache and headache.
[2] If something is worth doing, it's worth doing it right.

--
Stan

Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20100519_124653, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> A friend was running windows and the viruses got the best of it. She
> sent me the drive so I could get her pics and documents off of it and
> put 5.0.4 on it and send it back (she's a few states away).
>
> What problems (and solutions) should I be expecting when she installs
> the drive in her computer? I'm assuming the network setup will be one
> problem.
>
> My background is mainly in FreeBSD. If a drive is set up as being
> /dev/ad0 and the other machine sees it as /dev/ad4 it won't complete
> the boot, it'll complain with a cannot mount root error. Will that be
> an issue with Debian?
>
> Thanks!
> Vince.

Since your asking I assume you've never done it before.
Split the job into two separate tasks:
1) Get the pix off.
2) Install 5.0.4

1) install the drive as a second HD on a computer that boots
from the first HD, and explore what is on the drive. Mount your
friend's drive ro (read only). Depending on how many pix you find,
choose an appropriate storage medium to copy pix to.

Then 2) install 5.0.4, which will be much less nerve wracking if you
don't have to worry about losing the pix.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Vince Vielhaber

[...]

I'm just not sure about the linux part. The first thing I did was
copied the entire windows drive to one on my desktop. The pix and
stuff are safe. I just want the installation on her end to be as
painless (for both of us) as possible.

I just set up my daughter's machine the same way this one will be
set up so I'm going to apply the suggestions I got earlier to my
daughter's drive and move it to another machine (or three) and see
how it goes. I'm really not a fan of surprises!

Thanks!
Vince.
--
Michigan VHF Corp. http://www.nobucks.net/ http://www.CDupe.com/

Archive: Pine.BSF.4.64.1005191737420.46861@paprika.michvhf. com">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSF.4.64.1005191737420.46861@paprika.michvhf. com

Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:46:53PM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> A friend was running windows and the viruses got the best of it. She
> sent me the drive so I could get her pics and documents off of it and
> put 5.0.4 on it and send it back (she's a few states away).
>
> What problems (and solutions) should I be expecting when she installs
> the drive in her computer? I'm assuming the network setup will be one
> problem.
>
> My background is mainly in FreeBSD. If a drive is set up as being
> /dev/ad0 and the other machine sees it as /dev/ad4 it won't complete
> the boot, it'll complain with a cannot mount root error. Will that be
> an issue with Debian?

Besides the fstab and udev issues that others posted, you should be
pretty good. I recommend setting up a button on her desktop that sets
up an ssh tunnel so you can get in and add/fix stuff.

-Rob