Old 05-19-2010, 02:15 AM
KS

Default Chromium Xperience

Hi all,

I have been an Iceweasel user since it entered Debian repositories. A
few days ago I discovered that Chromium was also available for Debian
and installed it.

I feel it is more responsive and is "faster" than Iceweasel This could
be due to Chromium using different task for every tab it opens and using
its own window decorations (Iceweasel uses GTK+ and I use KDE). Even
with each tab increasing the use of memory by about 30MB, it still feels
faster than Iceweasel. No real tests done here, but Chromium does win
for responsiveness to a casual user.

Being an Iceweasel user with the Adblock+ extension, I'm accustomed to
(almost) adfree web browsing. This hasn't worked as smoothly with
Chromium. There is an Adblock extension available for Chromium, but it
works in a different way that it shows the advertisement while the page
is loading and then hides the element. This is not as clean as Iceweasel
(firefox). In addition, the extension didn't block Google adverts!
Iceweasel takes this round (very important).

And then comes the topic of shortcuts. I love the "/" shortcut for
Iceweasel, Chromium still uses the two-key combination of Ctrl+F!
Another fast shortcut is the Ctrl+Shift+Del which brings up the priate
data delete box. In Chromium one has to go through either preferences or
first History > Edit Items and then delete.

Chromium was also behaving oddly when playing flash video on full
screen. The video was full screen but behind the browser window!

The Adblock+ advantage with Iceweasel is the one factor which might keep
me away from Chromium unless better adblocking is implemented.

What is the experience of other users who have tested out Chromium in
Debian?

KS.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 19:15, KS <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been an Iceweasel user since it entered Debian repositories. A
> few days ago I discovered that Chromium was also available for Debian
> and installed it.
>
> I feel it is more responsive and is "faster" than Iceweasel This could
> be due to Chromium using different task for every tab it opens and using
> its own window decorations (Iceweasel uses GTK+ and I use KDE). Even
> with each tab increasing the use of memory by about 30MB, it still feels
> faster than Iceweasel. No real tests done here, but Chromium does win
> for responsiveness to a casual user.
>
> Being an Iceweasel user with the Adblock+ extension, I'm accustomed to
> (almost) adfree web browsing. This hasn't worked as smoothly with
> Chromium. There is an Adblock extension available for Chromium, but it
> works in a different way that it shows the advertisement while the page
> is loading and then hides the element. This is not as clean as Iceweasel
> (firefox). In addition, the extension didn't block Google adverts!
> Iceweasel takes this round (very important).
>
> And then comes the topic of shortcuts. I love the "/" shortcut for
> Iceweasel, Chromium still uses the two-key combination of Ctrl+F!
> Another fast shortcut is the Ctrl+Shift+Del which brings up the priate
> data delete box. In Chromium one has to go through either preferences or
> first History > Edit Items and then delete.
>
> Chromium was also behaving oddly when playing flash video on full
> screen. The video was full screen but behind the browser window!
>
> The Adblock+ advantage with Iceweasel is the one factor which might keep
> me away from Chromium unless better adblocking is implemented.
>
> What is the experience of other users who have tested out Chromium in
> Debian?

I have the dev build installed. I used it a bit to play with Youtube's
html5 version.
I guess it's kind of fast, but I didn't really notice, although I
didn't feel like using
in a realistic browsing session of mine. I am kind of curious about how it
would work when every session involves reopening 50-120 tabs (which is
normal for me), but I can't tolerate the UI for that long -_-

To the extent I did use it, it worked ok. On one of the dev updates, html5
audio was broken, but I filed a bug and it was soon fixed.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 05-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Bob Weber

[...]

Ive bee using Chrome dev channel version for several months now. I like the
fact that each tab has its on process. If one crashed it does not take the
whole browser with it. I watch a lot of flash videos on hulu, etc and when
flash crashes or I loose audio from flash all I have to do is terminate the
flash process from chrome's own task manager and restart the video. I use 2
monitors and when I watch videos on one screen I some time browse the web in
another chrome window on the second monitor. I may have many tabs open which I
don't want to close just to restart flash when it fails like I would in
Firefox. I do use adblock for chrome but I have not seen it do mush for
blocking adds.

....Bob

Archive: 4BF405DF.5030803@skyeweb.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BF405DF.5030803@skyeweb.com

Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

KS wrote:

[...]

Good question. I now use Google Chrome 5.0.375.38 beta exclusively.
I loaded it down from their site. Is there a debian package?

Pro's:

1. I also feel it is more responsive than IW .
2. I like the screen layout better.
3. The extension development process is well documented, but I have
never looked at that with IW.

4. I like the project, a nice competitor for IE, hope it clobbers it ;-)

Con's:
1. How do you know when there is a new version? I got it from:
http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=linux
but that doesn't have the version number.
2. The bookmark manager is a mess: no way to go to the bottom of the
list other than using the slide-bar on the right and who knows where he
imported the IW bookmarks from, but the ain; t the ones I am using now...
3. Some of the keyboard shortcuts don't work, notable forwards
(shift+backspace) and backwards (backspace)
4. Those are issues
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=22683&q=backspace&colspec=ID%20Stars%20P ri%20Area%20Feature%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Mo dified%20Owner%20Mstone%20OS

and
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=22771&q=backspace&colspec=ID%20Stars%20P ri%20Area%20Feature%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Mo dified%20Owner%20Mstone%20OS
and when do they get resolved?
5. On IW you can setup autoscroll, but in chrome not.

I'll update the list when I think of more items.

Hugo

Archive: ht11u6$dh3$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ht11u6$dh3$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 PM
KS

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Good question. I now use Google Chrome 5.0.375.38 beta exclusively.
> I loaded it down from their site. Is there a debian package?

chromium-browser

Old 05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Steve Fishpaste

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 05:53:10PM -0400, KS uttered:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >
> > Good question. I now use Google Chrome 5.0.375.38 beta exclusively.
> > I loaded it down from their site. Is there a debian package?
> >
> chromium-browser

It's not current as of this moment though. Debian is still using the
old 5.x branch while 6.x has been current for several weeks. The 6.0
is considerably faster, (for me) hopefully the maintainer will update
his package soon! Hate to have to go back to using Ubuntu's repository
for just a recent Chromium-browser.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:07 AM
green

KS wrote at 2010-05-18 20:15 -0600:
> What is the experience of other users who have tested out Chromium in
> Debian?

I like chromium. To me it seems faster and the interface more efficient.
Iceweasel (on amd64) always crashed occasionally for me. I don't recall that
chromium has crashed (even a single tab) for me yet. Iceweasel also seems to
have significant memory leaks, and the memory is not recovered by closing all
the tabs (but 1). With chromium a closed tab ends a process, so hopefully any
existing memory leaks have a significantly lesser impact on the system's
resources.

There has been a shortage of good browsers in the past in my opinion. Now
there are 2 promising browsers beside chromium: uzbl and midori.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Ron Johnson

What is the experience of other users who have tested out Chromium in
Debian?

I like chromium. To me it seems faster and the interface more efficient.
Iceweasel (on amd64) always crashed occasionally for me. I don't recall that

Eh? Always occasionally?

chromium has crashed (even a single tab) for me yet. Iceweasel also seems to
have significant memory leaks, and the memory is not recovered by closing all
the tabs (but 1).

That's true...

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental

Archive: 4C16E95E.7090403@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C16E95E.7090403@cox.net

Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Liviu Andronic

Hello

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:15 AM, KS <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I feel it is more responsive and is "faster" than Iceweasel This could

If you have little against non-open-source programmes, you might also
want to try Opera >10.50. It has not been released yet [1], but here I
am playing with beta releases and they look very promising. UI
responsiveness and rendering speed are at least as good as Chromium's,
although Opera boasts that it's the fastest in the world while some
benchmark sites seem to confirm this. Start-up speed is much improved,
albeit bit slower than Chromium and perhaps on par with Iceweasel. It
passes acid3, while Chromium and Iceweasel fail (at least the versions
that I have installed here in Squeeze). Lastly, the interface is
cleanly revamped and converges to that of Chromium, although
maintaining the Opera-ish specifics. Not of interest to KDE users, on
Xfce (and Gnome, I suspect) the interface is *very* GTK feel-alike,
not least via the GTK filechooser and print dialogues.

To echo previous posters, another promising open-source project is Midori.

Regards
Liviu

[1] http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Old 06-16-2010, 03:12 AM
green

Ron Johnson wrote at 2010-06-14 20:45 -0600:
> On 06/14/2010 09:07 PM, green wrote:
> >KS wrote at 2010-05-18 20:15 -0600:
> >>What is the experience of other users who have tested out Chromium in
> >>Debian?
> >
> >I like chromium. To me it seems faster and the interface more efficient.
> >Iceweasel (on amd64) always crashed occasionally for me. I don't recall that
>
> Eh? Always occasionally?

Hmm, that's a tricky one for me to put into English.
- Across different versions, Iceweasel would crash occasionally.
- Iceweasel's "occasional crashing" behavior remained the same for a long time.

Note that by "occasional" I mean maybe once every 2 weeks, with several windows
and a total of maybe 40 tabs.