Old 05-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Manon Metten

Default Accelerating directory's content's viewing: how, is directory is huge?

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Merciadri Luca
<Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
> you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
> fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
> previewing, or thumbnails.
>
> How can I do to make this process faster?

Hi Luca,

If you're using ext2/ext3, turning off dir/file access time might help.
Edit /etc/fstab and add noatime,nodiratime on the appropriate line,
like in the example below:

/dev/hdb2 /home ext3 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 0 2

Manon.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Merciadri Luca

Thanks, that did the trick!

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Merciadri Luca

I wanted to say that it now takes some seconds of less. I think that I'm
going to use CLI, no problem.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

We are what we repeatedly do. (Aristotle)

Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Ron Johnson

I wanted to say that it now takes some seconds of less. I think that I'm
going to use CLI, no problem.

I'm not sure I understand you. Do you mean that it's many seconds
faster, or just a few?

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Archive: 4BF3D4C9.4050206@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BF3D4C9.4050206@cox.net

Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Merciadri Luca

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 05:56 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> I wanted to say that it now takes some seconds of less. I think that I'm
>> going to use CLI, no problem.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand you. Do you mean that it's many seconds
> faster, or just a few?
It is just a few seconds faster. Sorry if I was not clear.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Merciadri Luca

Thanks!

--