Old 05-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Rytis Daugirdas

Default hald start problem

Hello,
On my Debian system hald fails to start randomly. Logs do not show any errors.
When I restart it and it does start, the output looks like this:

root@LAPTOP:~# /etc/init.d/hal restartRestarting Hardware abstraction layer: hald.root@LAPTOP:~#
When I restart it and it does NOT start, the output looks like this:

root@LAPTOP:~# /etc/init.d/hal restartRestarting Hardware abstraction layer: haldroot@LAPTOP:~#
As you can see in the latter case some expected output (".
") is missing. Also, the return code is 1 instead of 0 which clearly indicates a failure.

I tried the same quite a few times and it's completely random. What could be the problem?
Rytis