Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default Accelerating directory's content's viewing: how, is directory is huge?

Hi,

I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
previewing, or thumbnails.

How can I do to make this process faster?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Love is like war, Easy to start, Hard to end, Impossible to forget.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 18 May 2010 13:16:27 Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
> you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
> fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
> previewing, or thumbnails.
>
> How can I do to make this process faster?

Slow to ls? reiserfs, xfs, btrfs, or the dir_index option and hash_alg
extended option of ext3.

Is the directory fast to ls, but slow to render in a GUI? Problem is likely
with the GUI.

How many files? It may be better to convert to a "stepped" directory
structure.

E.g.:
Instead of:
/home/abel
/home/alfred
/home/ada
[...]
/home/zelda
/home/zola
/home/zoolander

Use:
/home/a/abel
/home/a/alfred
/home/a/ada
[...]
/home/z/zelda
/home/z/zola
/home/z/zoolander
Or: (usually only when names are fixed-length)
/home/a/bel
/home/a/lfred
/home/a/da
[...]
/home/z/elda
/home/z/ola
/home/z/oolander

I'm most familiar with using this for ASCII names, but it can be converted to
work with other names. Japanese can use stroke count of the first character
instead of first character, for example.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Merciadri Luca

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2010 13:16:27 Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
>> you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
>> fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
>> previewing, or thumbnails.
>>
>> How can I do to make this process faster?
>>

> Slow to ls? reiserfs, xfs, btrfs, or the dir_index option and hash_alg
> extended option of ext3.
>
> Is the directory fast to ls, but slow to render in a GUI? Problem is likely
> with the GUI.

Sorry, it is only slow to GUI (nautilus).
> How many files?
~25,000.
> It may be better to convert to a "stepped" directory
> structure.
>
> E.g.:
> Instead of:
> /home/abel
> /home/alfred
> /home/ada
> [...]
> /home/zelda
> /home/zola
> /home/zoolander
>
> Use:
> /home/a/abel
> /home/a/alfred
> /home/a/ada
> [...]
> /home/z/zelda
> /home/z/zola
> /home/z/zoolander
> Or: (usually only when names are fixed-length)
> /home/a/bel
> /home/a/lfred
> /home/a/da
> [...]
> /home/z/elda
> /home/z/ola
> /home/z/oolander
>
> I'm most familiar with using this for ASCII names, but it can be converted to
> work with other names. Japanese can use stroke count of the first character
> instead of first character, for example.

Yes. Good idea. I am however astonished that nautilus takes ~30 sec. to
open such a directory.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:16:27 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
> you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
> fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
> previewing, or thumbnails.
>
> How can I do to make this process faster?

Did you also turn off "Count Number of Items" and "Show Text In Icons" in
Nautilus "preview" preferences?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Ron Johnson

On 05/18/2010 02:15 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

On Tuesday 18 May 2010 13:16:27 Merciadri Luca wrote:

Hi,

I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
previewing, or thumbnails.

How can I do to make this process faster?

Don't use a GUI tool that's designed for small subdirectories.

Slow to ls? reiserfs, xfs, btrfs, or the dir_index option and hash_alg
extended option of ext3.

Is the directory fast to ls, but slow to render in a GUI? Problem is likely
with the GUI.

Sorry, it is only slow to GUI (nautilus).

How many files?

~25,000.

Don't use Nautilus, or reorganize your directory structure.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Archive: 4BF2FD4A.5030203@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BF2FD4A.5030203@cox.net

Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Merciadri Luca

Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Ron Johnson

On 05/18/2010 03:56 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

Don't use Nautilus, or reorganize your directory structure.

Okay. Then, for browsing big directories with a GUI, which GUI do you
advice to use? Thanks.

I wouldn't. (Real Men use the CLI.)

Anyway... there are many lightweight file managers in Debian. I'd
install a bunch and see which is the least slow.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Archive: 4BF305A0.6010906@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BF305A0.6010906@cox.net

Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Merciadri Luca

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/18/2010 03:56 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>
>> Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>>
>>> Don't use Nautilus, or reorganize your directory structure.
>> Okay. Then, for browsing big directories with a GUI, which GUI do you
>> advice to use? Thanks.
>
> I wouldn't. (Real Men use the CLI.)
>
> Anyway... there are many lightweight file managers in Debian. I'd
> install a bunch and see which is the least slow.

Okay. As I belong to Real Men, I will use CLI(!)

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.