Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Miles Fidelman

Default cross-connecting console ports?

Hi Folks,

I have two rack-mounted servers located in a datacenter, running Debian
Lenny. Every once in a while, in order to install stuff, I have to
physically go to the data center and connect a terminal to one server or
the other.

Short of buying a remote KVM, it occurs to me that it might be possible
to cross-connect the serial ports on the two computers - using a
terminal program on one, to access the other, and vice versa.

Has anybody done this? Any suggestions on where to start - both re.
cabling (USB vs. serial cross-over), and/or software?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra