Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default Launch some command and leave the console, the command still being executed

Hi,

I would like to be able to launch some command in the console, and to be
able to close the terminal, the command being still evaluated, i.e. if I
launch gedit (I'm under GNOME), and that I close the console, gedit
closes too. (This is also the case with `gedit &', which is not
astonishing.)

Is it even possible?

Thanks folks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 17:45 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> I would like to be able to launch some command in the console, and to be
> able to close the terminal, the command being still evaluated, i.e. if I
> launch gedit (I'm under GNOME), and that I close the console, gedit
> closes too. (This is also the case with `gedit &', which is not
> astonishing.)

I would suggest using "screen" [1] for that, but that might be overkill
and you are just looking for "nohup".

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/screen
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :

Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Jordan Metzmeier

I would like to be able to launch some command in the console, and to be
able to close the terminal, the command being still evaluated, i.e. if I
launch gedit (I'm under GNOME), and that I close the console, gedit
closes too. (This is also the case with `gedit&', which is not
astonishing.)

Is it even possible?

Thanks folks.

You want something more like: `gedit & disown`. The "disown" will detach
all background jobs currently attached to the terminal session. This
_might_ be specific to BASH since it is a BASH builtin.

Also, you may want to look into tools like GNU Screen.

Archive: 4BF169B1.7020209@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BF169B1.7020209@gmail.com

Old 05-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Merciadri Luca

Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> On 05/17/2010 11:45 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> You want something more like: `gedit & disown`. The "disown" will
> detach all background jobs currently attached to the terminal session.
> This _might_ be specific to BASH since it is a BASH builtin.
>
> Also, you may want to look into tools like GNU Screen.

Thanks. I had forgotten `screen' which is a nice tool, but, ponctually,
`disown' might be better, because I have defined some commands, e.g. say
`command1' in my .bashrc, and `screen command1' gives that `command1' is
unknown, but it is known in the .bashrc. I also tried with -r but to no
avail.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Merciadri Luca

Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 17:45 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> I would like to be able to launch some command in the console, and to be
>> able to close the terminal, the command being still evaluated, i.e. if I
>> launch gedit (I'm under GNOME), and that I close the console, gedit
>> closes too. (This is also the case with `gedit &', which is not
>> astonishing.)
>>

> I would suggest using "screen" [1] for that, but that might be overkill
> and you are just looking for "nohup".
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/screen

Thanks for both pointers. I had forgotten about screen. `nohup' seems to
be better in my case, even if disown seems to to do the trick perfectly.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of
enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)