Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default How to check if device is busy without unmounting?

How can one check if a device can be safely unmounted at the moment.
Sometimes umount fails as the device is busy. Is there a way to check
if the device is busy, without unmounting? The umount manpage does not
discuss this situation.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Sunday 16 May 2010 18:05:01 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can one check if a device can be safely unmounted at the moment.
> Sometimes umount fails as the device is busy. Is there a way to check
> if the device is busy, without unmounting? The umount manpage does not
> discuss this situation.

(fuser -mv /$mnt_point) is relatively standard.

lsof is quite a bit more powerful and complete, and available for Debian.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Ron Johnson

How can one check if a device can be safely unmounted at the moment.
Sometimes umount fails as the device is busy. Is there a way to check
if the device is busy, without unmounting? The umount manpage does not
discuss this situation.

(fuser -mv /$mnt_point) is relatively standard.

lsof is quite a bit more powerful and complete, and available for Debian.

Neither of those commands "see" NFS exports.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Archive: 4BF089D2.6040703@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BF089D2.6040703@cox.net

Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Ron Johnson

"Sorry: We couldn't find what you were looking for."

Hi, i'm new in this list, i wrote a post about how to do this [1] . With
Fuse as Sthepen said.

[1] http://www.ardsoluciones.com.ar/blog/?p=436&preview=true

Archive: 4BF0CE3F.8080806@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BF0CE3F.8080806@cox.net

Old 05-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 17 May 2010 00:03:59 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> "Sorry: We couldn't find what you were looking for."

Correct link?

http://www.ardsoluciones.com.ar/blog/?m=20100503

Translation:

<http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ardsoluciones .com.ar%2Fblog%2F%3Fm%3D20100503&sl=es&tl=en>

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Dotan Cohen

On 17 May 2010 02:46, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 16 May 2010 18:05:01 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> How can one check if a device can be safely unmounted at the moment.
>> Sometimes umount fails as the device is busy. Is there a way to check
>> if the device is busy, without unmounting? The umount manpage does not
>> discuss this situation.
>
> (fuser -mv /$mnt_point) is relatively standard.
>
> lsof is quite a bit more powerful and complete, and available for Debian.

Thanks, Boyd!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il