Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Martin

Default apect ration change on wide monitor

I got a new wide monitor (my first LCD).
It is capeable of this resolutions:
Modes "1360x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

when I switch to any of the resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio
picture is streched so everything is wider than it should be.
To remedy this, on monitor are some buttons and I can switch it to
4:3 ration (than there are black stripws of empty spaces on
left and right border of monitor but the picture is fine - not
streched out). I do dis switch by manually pressing buttons
on monitor.

I wonder if there is some program that can perform this swich by
issuing command from computer instead of me manually pressing the
buttons on monitor?

In manual for monitor I did not find any note about such posibility.
I have LG FLATRON W1943SS.

Martin

Old 05-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 16 May 2010 20:20:29 +0200
Martin <adsrtg-mlist@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Hello Martin,

> In manual for monitor I did not find any note about such posibility.
> I have LG FLATRON W1943SS.

Not the same monitor (LG FLATRON W2042S) but have had no success in
finding anything to auto-switch the 4:3 modes correctly. My assumption
being that, because there's a button to do the job, it's not possible to
do it in software as the relevant commands don't exist to do it.

If you don't run the monitor at its native resolution, things can look
pretty ugly anyway.

Now, there's an oxymoron for you. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

If a thought came in your head it would die of loneliness
I Don't Like You - Stiff Little Fingers

Old 05-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Martin

> > In manual for monitor I did not find any note about such posibility.
> > I have LG FLATRON W1943SS.
>
> Not the same monitor (LG FLATRON W2042S) but have had no success in
> finding anything to auto-switch the 4:3 modes correctly. My assumption
> being that, because there's a button to do the job, it's not possible to
> do it in software as the relevant commands don't exist to do it.

Is this generaly not possible for any monitor or some (more expensive,
perhaps other manufacturer) do have this feature?

Martin

Old 05-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 17 May 2010 07:57:13 +0200, Martin wrote:

>> > In manual for monitor I did not find any note about such posibility.
>> > I have LG FLATRON W1943SS.
>>
>> Not the same monitor (LG FLATRON W2042S) but have had no success in
>> finding anything to auto-switch the 4:3 modes correctly. My assumption
>> being that, because there's a button to do the job, it's not possible
>> to do it in software as the relevant commands don't exist to do it.
>
> Is this generaly not possible for any monitor or some (more expensive,
> perhaps other manufacturer) do have this feature?

LCD displays are designed to work well at only one resolution (native
resolution). Your display seems to be those called "wide", with an aspect-
ratio of 16:10 and should be set at 1680x1050. Some displays, when using
analog input (VGA) have a button to "auto-set" the values.

That "4:3 in wide" feature must be hardware provided, I guess. It could
be useful for displaying video sources with 4:3 aspect ratio (in order to
keep the image undistorted), but I find that not convenient for
displaying computer images :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 17 May 2010 07:57:13 +0200
Martin <adsrtg-mlist@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Hello Martin,

> Is this generaly not possible for any monitor or some (more expensive,
> perhaps other manufacturer) do have this feature?

I have no idea, sorry. I've only ever used three LCD monitors, and of
those, only one is a widescreen. The other two have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

I am alone there's nobody there
I Look Alone - Buzzcocks

Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,16.May.10, 20:20:29, Martin wrote:

> I wonder if there is some program that can perform this swich by
> issuing command from computer instead of me manually pressing the
> buttons on monitor?

As others have mentioned, LCDs are always used best at their native
resolution. What exactly do you need the 4:3 aspect ratio for?

For example, if you have video content in lower resolutions and 4:3
aspect ratio you'd better let the player do software upscaling, it will
look better anyway. For other problems there might be other solutions.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Martin

> As others have mentioned, LCDs are always used best at their native
> resolution. What exactly do you need the 4:3 aspect ratio for?
>
> For example, if you have video content in lower resolutions and 4:3
> aspect ratio you'd better let the player do software upscaling, it will
> look better anyway. For other problems there might be other solutions.

You guess is right. It is mainly for films that are all in lower res
than 640x480. Tour advise to use software upscaling is sound but
unfortunately not applicable in my current situation. Even whet it is
played in normal resolution mplayer is complaining that my system is
too slow to play the film. My CPU is 366 MHz PII (Celeron) and I have
MGA100 graphical chip with 6 Mb VideoRAM. As it looks like I am stuck
with this box in foreseeable future too.
And when I change to lower resolution all actors/actress looks like
they urgently need some 'Loose Fat Fast' medicine urgently (poor
Nicole Kidman)

Sometimes I do switch to lower resolution and use that as magnifier to
better see some details of picture or webpage or something.

Another use case when I like to have 4:3 aspect ratio is when I switch
to MS Windows. For one thing XP as installed on my box does not allow
me to use wide screen at all. It only offer 000x600 and 1024x768
resolution (I guess this could be fixed if I reinstall XP). And I do
not care really for this as the only reason I am keeping XP around is
to play some games. And all the games when played in fullscreen are
4:3. At least those I do play. Since my box is so limited I do not
have almost any game released after year 1998 (or 2000).

So after reading replays my conclusion is that none of LCD wide
monitors do not offer possibility to change aspect ratio by software.
Same that designers of monitor and protocol that its use to
communicate with computer did not thing about this feature.
I hope that I am wrong.

Martin

Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:46:25 +0200, Martin wrote:

(...)

> So after reading replays my conclusion is that none of LCD wide monitors
> do not offer possibility to change aspect ratio by software. Same that
> designers of monitor and protocol that its use to communicate with
> computer did not thing about this feature. I hope that I am wrong.

Well, for watching movies in your PC you can always use the media player
abilities to re-scale the video into 4:3 aspect ratio :-)

But if your vga card cannot provide higher resolutions to the monitor,
then you are stuck: LCDs can only work well at their native resolution.
So your first step should be to find the specs of your VGA card and check
what is the maximum resolution it can provide.

Your display will be happy at 1680x1050@60Hz.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Martin wrote:

Another use case when I like to have 4:3 aspect ratio is when I switch
to MS Windows. For one thing XP as installed on my box does not allow
me to use wide screen at all. It only offer 000x600 and 1024x768
resolution (I guess this could be fixed if I reinstall XP). And I do
not care really for this as the only reason I am keeping XP around is
to play some games. And all the games when played in fullscreen are
4:3. At least those I do play. Since my box is so limited I do not
have almost any game released after year 1998 (or 2000).

So after reading replays my conclusion is that none of LCD wide
monitors do not offer possibility to change aspect ratio by software.
Same that designers of monitor and protocol that its use to
communicate with computer did not thing about this feature.
I hope that I am wrong.

Martin, The correct display resolution for your monitor is "1360x768", I
suggest you use that resolution, for Windows I suggest you use the
driver that came with your monitor, if you do not have the driver I
suggest you contact LG, if you are not happy with your monitor then take
it back and get something else.

If your wallpaper is not made for wide screen or you are not using .svgz
wallpaper then it will not look right, only with "1360x768" will your
applications, games and movies look right.

--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263