Old 05-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Default Re (4): Re^n: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:05:21 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway...> wrote,
> Your kernel installation environment is not configured correctly for
> use with lilo. That's why you are having trouble upgrading to
> a newer kernel. Assuming that you are using only stock kernel images,
> here is what you should do:

The instructions are like clockwork. Thanks!
Incorporation in the lilo package would be good.

> I don't know if the new kernel will fix the X problem ...

Unfortunately X remains broken with an error
about /dev/fb0.

The log is here in case anyone is interested.
http://carnot.yi.org/dalton.Xorg.0.log
With minimal understanding, I noticed these lines.

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
(II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.6.901, module version = 0.0.2
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory

I've tried various ideas found with Google.
Remove the intel driver and leave the vesa
driver installed for example.

Is fb a standalone driver? Is it an accessory
to the vesa driver?

Thanks for any ideas, ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop".
In ETHNO click here -> Desktops.OpenDoc http://carnot.yi.org/.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sun, 16 May 2010 14:13:58 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Your kernel installation environment is not configured correctly for
>> use with lilo. That's why you are having trouble upgrading to
>> a newer kernel. Assuming that you are using only stock kernel images,
>> here is what you should do ...
>
> The instructions are like clockwork. Thanks!
> Incorporation in the lilo package would be good.

Well, I'm not one of the Debian package maintainers
for lilo; so you'll have to take that request up with one of them.
But strictly speaking, this is not a lilo issue. This is a kernel
installation environment customization issue. This kind of customization
is normally done by the Debian installer when you install the system.
If you change boot loaders after installation, you have to re-customize
this yourself. This is a little understood and poorly documented aspect
of administering a Debian system. I've learned it by trial and error.

>> I don't know if the new kernel will fix the X problem ...
>
> Unfortunately X remains broken with an error
> about /dev/fb0.
>
> The log is here in case anyone is interested.
> http://carnot.yi.org/dalton.Xorg.0.log

I'll take a look at this this evening. I can't view it now because my
employer has the site blocked as a "dating" site. ?! Whatever.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :