Old 05-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Chris Austin

Default Slowing down the mouse speed

On Sunday 16 May 2010 14:37:45 James Stuckey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How do I control how fast my mouse moves/accelerates? I'd like to have to
> move it more than a half inch before it has crossed the entire width of my
> screen.
>
> I've used "xset m 0 0" but it still moves very fast.

I have not experienced this specific problem, but yesterday I installed gpm
(General Purpose Mouse) in the course of fixing another problem, and I
noticed that among its command line options there is:

-r number
Set the responsiveness as a percentage of motion (1 to 100, default
10). A lower number can be used to slow down cursor motion, this can
not be used to make a mouse move faster, see ‘-a’.

I am now running the mouse in KDE via gpm as described in my message
and at the end of the FAQ entry
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/FAQ#lefthandmouse

Experimenting with gpm yesterday and today, it does not seem to respond to
command line instructions, only to what is in /etc/gpm.conf.

Best regards,
Chris Austin.