FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-16-2010, 01:13 PM
James Stuckey
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

Hello,

I'm now using Linux debian 2.6.32-3-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 24 18:07:42 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux but I'm still not able to read DVDs or CDs. The media and the hardware that I'm using *works* without problem in windows and mac osx.


Besides upgrading my kernel, I also changed some things in fstab so that my fstab now looks like:
root@debian:/home/stuckey# cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a

# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>** <type>* <options>****** <dump>* <pass>

proc*********** /proc********** proc*** defaults******* 0****** 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=cca7add1-981f-469f-9285-ae17722e24bd /************** ext3*** errors=remount-ro 0****** 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation

UUID=334c0de5-c6b2-4990-a49b-83f4dd0c0a0d none*********** swap*** sw************* 0****** 0
/dev/sr0****** /media/cdrom0** udf,iso9660 user,noauto**** 0****** 0
/dev/fd0******* /media/floppy0* auto*** rw,user,noauto* 0****** 0

/dev/sdc1 *** /mnt/western/*** auto *** rw,user, 0 0


*What I'm doing to mount the media: *
root@debian:/home/stuckey# mount /dev/sr0
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
****** missing codepage or helper program, or other error
****** (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
****** ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

****** In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
****** dmesg | tail* or so

*What I see in DMESG:*
[** 33.916174] cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
[** 33.951340] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE

[** 33.951344] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[** 33.951348] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
[** 33.951353] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00

[** 33.951360] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[** 33.951363] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
[** 33.952816] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[** 33.952819] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]

[** 33.952823] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
[** 33.952826] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00
[** 33.952833] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

[** 33.952836] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
[* 177.304067] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[* 177.304071] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]

[* 177.304075] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
[* 177.304080] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 01 00
[* 177.304087] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 64

[* 177.311214] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[* 177.311218] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[* 177.311221] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range

[* 177.311225] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 01 00
[* 177.311232] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1024
[* 177.312078] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE

[* 177.312081] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[* 177.312084] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
[* 177.312088] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 01 00

[* 177.312095] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2048
[* 177.312100] UDF-fs: No anchor found
[* 177.312103] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
[* 177.331394] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE

[* 177.331398] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[* 177.331401] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
[* 177.331405] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 01 00

[* 177.331412] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 64
[* 177.331486] isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sr0, iso_blknum=16, block=16
 
Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

On Sun, 16 May 2010 15:13:28 +0200, James Stuckey wrote:

> I'm now using Linux debian 2.6.32-3-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 24 18:07:42 UTC
> 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux but I'm still not able to read DVDs or CDs. The
> media and the hardware that I'm using *works* without problem in windows
> and mac osx.

(...)

> [ 177.331412] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 64 [ 177.331486]
> isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sr0, iso_blknum=16, block=16

Check the sata/ide cable (reassure into the connectors ends) and if is
even suitable for you, replace it with with another one.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.05.16.18.29.41@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.05.16.18.29.41@gmail.com
 
Old 05-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

On Sun,16.May.10, 15:13:28, James Stuckey wrote:
>
> *What I'm doing to mount the media: *
> root@debian:/home/stuckey# mount /dev/sr0
> mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
> ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so

Is this a data or audio CD (audio CDs can't be mounted, only played)? Is
it possible to test with another OS on the same hardware?

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 PM
James Stuckey
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun,16.May.10, 15:13:28, James Stuckey wrote:

>

> *What I'm doing to mount the media: *

> root@debian:/home/stuckey# mount /dev/sr0

> mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,

> * * * *missing codepage or helper program, or other error

> * * * *(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use

> * * * *ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

> * * * *In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

> * * * *dmesg | tail *or so



Is this a data or audio CD (audio CDs can't be mounted, only played)? Is

it possible to test with another OS on the same hardware?



Regards,

Andrei



Hello,

As I've already said, it works in windows and mac. I'll try changing the cable, but since it works in windows and mac I doubt the cable is at fault. I've tried audio and data cds and DVDs.
 
Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Jimmy Johnson
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

James Stuckey wrote:

As I've already said, it works in windows and mac. I'll try changing the
cable, but since it works in windows and mac I doubt the cable is at
fault. I've tried audio and data cds and DVDs.



It may or may not help, but normally my dvd drive is sr0, but I checked
and today it's scd0, I checked both data and dvd movie and it's working,
so maybe try a change in fstab and see if it will work of course you may
need to reboot after the change:


/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4BF068A3.3070707@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BF068A3.3070707@gmail.com
 
Old 05-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Javier Barroso
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM, James Stuckey <jhstuckey@gmail.com> wrote:



On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:


On Sun,16.May.10, 15:13:28, James Stuckey wrote:

>

> *What I'm doing to mount the media: *

> root@debian:/home/stuckey# mount /dev/sr0

> mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,

> * * * *missing codepage or helper program, or other error

> * * * *(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use

> * * * *ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

> * * * *In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

> * * * *dmesg | tail *or so



Is this a data or audio CD (audio CDs can't be mounted, only played)? Is

it possible to test with another OS on the same hardware?



Regards,

Andrei



Hello,

As I've already said, it works in windows and mac. I'll try changing the cable, but since it works in windows and mac I doubt the cable is at fault. I've tried audio and data cds and DVDs.


Two weeks ago, I reported a similar issue (in this case dmesg didn't give any output) [1]. My cdrom went to dead [2], but after resurrected.

We have at least 3 lg cdrom writters which have problems reading cds inside debian, but our machines boot fine from these cds.


Regards,

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=580028
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=577534#47
 
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 AM
Zoran Kolic
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

> > *What I'm doing to mount the media: *
> > root@debian:/home/stuckey# mount /dev/sr0
> > mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
> > missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> > (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
> > ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
> > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> > dmesg | tail or so
> Is this a data or audio CD (audio CDs can't be mounted, only played)? Is
> it possible to test with another OS on the same hardware?

As another poster pointed, the device could be wrongly picked up.
Also, I'm not sure for udf, made on win. Best bet would be to
mount it by the hand, trying all devices out. Further, helps to use
dvd/cd that worked as a charm previously.
Do you noticed any change in /dev directory after inserting op-
tical media in the device?
Best regards

Zoran


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100517050102.GA975@faust.net">http://lists.debian.org/20100517050102.GA975@faust.net
 
Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 AM
James Stuckey
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs> wrote:

> > *What I'm doing to mount the media: *

> > root@debian:/home/stuckey# mount /dev/sr0

> > mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,

> > * * * *missing codepage or helper program, or other error

> > * * * *(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use

> > * * * *ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

> > * * * *In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

> > * * * *dmesg | tail *or so

> Is this a data or audio CD (audio CDs can't be mounted, only played)? Is

> it possible to test with another OS on the same hardware?



As another poster pointed, the device could be wrongly picked up.

Also, I'm not sure for udf, made on win. Best bet would be to

mount it by the hand, trying all devices out. Further, helps to use

dvd/cd that worked as a charm previously.

Do you noticed any change in /dev directory after inserting op-

tical media in the device?

Best regards



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Zoran


Sometimes I'll get "mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0" or it will mount, or it will give me the other error message I posted.

I just put a disc in, tried to mount it three times, and got three different results. Now it is mounted and /dev looks like http://paste.debian.net/73572/


Now I've taken the disc out and dev looks like: http://paste.debian.net/73573/

They look the same to me.
 
Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

On Sun,16.May.10, 22:49:56, James Stuckey wrote:
>
> As I've already said, it works in windows and mac. I'll try changing the
> cable, but since it works in windows and mac I doubt the cable is at fault.
> I've tried audio and data cds and DVDs.

Do you have Debian, Mac OS X and Windows installed on this machine?
This is only a test to exclude a problem specific to this machine, even
if the DVD drive works in another machine.

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Zoran Kolic
 
Default Still can't read DVDs/CDs

> Sometimes I'll get "mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0" or it will mount, or
> it will give me the other error message I posted.
> I just put a disc in, tried to mount it three times, and got three different
> results. Now it is mounted and /dev looks like
> http://paste.debian.net/73572/
> Now I've taken the disc out and dev looks like:
> http://paste.debian.net/73573/

Whenever I have problem with reading/writing to dvd/cd
device, it ends replacing the drive. And drives are
cheaper and cheaper and last shorter and shorter. If
you have fond to buy new one, now it is the time to do
that. At least, I would do.
Best regards

Zoran


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100517150620.GA971@faust.net">http://lists.debian.org/20100517150620.GA971@faust.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:58 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org