Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 AM
AG

Default Configuration errors using tor, privoxy & polipo

Dear all

On an up-to-date testing machine, I am using Iceweasel + tor + privoxy.
Florian helped me with an issue like this sometime back, but revisiting
his helpful advice has not helped on this occasion.

The situation is as follows:

Using Iceweasel, I enable the tor button and receive a warning message
"Tor proxy test: local HTTP proxy is unreachable. Is polipo running
properly?"

Well, no because polipo wasn't installed - why and when this suddenly
became a necessity I don't know, but anyway I installed polipo and
configured it according to the tutorial on
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Polipo which, in my circumstances,
required me to uncomment this line in the config file:

socksParentProxy = localhost:9050

Having restarted the daemons, and still getting the same error and no
connection, I pointed the browser at privoxy as per the polipo
configuration page referred to above, in the preferences/ network
settings tab, and in the polipo config file, I uncommented the line:

socksParentProxy = localhost:9050

I then restarted polipo, double-checked the privoxy config file to
ensure that forwarding was still set as required and restarted the tor
and privoxy daemons. However, I still get the same error messages
(basically cannot connect to web-pages) and the tor test gives the same
results as before.

From researching this on the web, I am unable to ascertain whether or
not I even need polipo, but the preferences settings tab for the tor
button have a check-box for using polipo, so it appears as if tor is now
expecting polipo to be installed and running as default. But, I have
now reached the limit of what I know what to do or can figure out. I am
also conscious of the risk of screwing things up further in an effort to
fix this, so before proceeding further would like to ask this list for
help and advice.

I appreciate any thoughts/ ideas.

Thanks

AG

Archive: 4BEFA041.10005@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BEFA041.10005@gmail.com

Old 05-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Snood

Using Iceweasel, I enable the tor button and receive a warning message
"Tor proxy test: local HTTP proxy is unreachable. Is polipo running
properly?"

Well, no because polipo wasn't installed - why and when this suddenly
became a necessity I don't know, but anyway I installed polipo and
configured it according to the tutorial on
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Polipo which, in my circumstances,
required me to uncomment this line in the config file:

From researching this on the web, I am unable to ascertain whether or
not I even need polipo, but the preferences settings tab for the tor
button have a check-box for using polipo, so it appears as if tor is now
expecting polipo to be installed and running as default. But, I have now
reached the limit of what I know what to do or can figure out. I am also
conscious of the risk of screwing things up further in an effort to fix
this, so before proceeding further would like to ask this list for help
and advice.

I think it's polipo that you need, and privoxy that you don't need.

If you look here

http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en

I think you'll probably find the information you need. There's a link on
that page to a polipo configuration file that you can use for replacing
the one that gets created when you install polipo from the repositories.

I could be mistaken about this, but I think that you need to remove
privoxy from the system -- or at least make sure that it is not running.

Sam

Archive: 4BEFDC66.7070108@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BEFDC66.7070108@comcast.net

Old 05-16-2010, 03:34 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Sun, 16 May 2010 08:35:29 +0100, AG wrote:

> Dear all
>
> On an up-to-date testing machine, I am using Iceweasel + tor + privoxy.
> Florian helped me with an issue like this sometime back, but revisiting
> his helpful advice has not helped on this occasion.
>
> The situation is as follows:
>
> Using Iceweasel, I enable the tor button and receive a warning message
> "Tor proxy test: local HTTP proxy is unreachable. Is polipo running
> properly?"

I used Ubuntu 8.04 with Firefox 3.0.19 and the same + tor + privoxy
configuration.

After upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 Firefox get upgraded to v. 3.6 and all at a
sudden I get the same error message as you describe.

In my case the problem was resolved by a number of random setting
manipulations within Tor Button Properties:

- open Tor Button Properties window;
- run Test Settings (it will fail);
- check "Use custom proxy settings" radio button instead of the default
"Use the recommended settings..."
- run Test Settings (in my case it failed again)
- check "Use the recommended settings..." back and run Test Settings
again. At this point all at sudden I get a positive test result and since
than everything works just fine.

I know all of it does not make much sense but in my case I get it fixed.
Mystery. :-)

It looks like this is a bug in Tor Button (or could be in FF itself?)

PS. I do not remember exactly but it could be that in addition of all of
the above I unchecked the Use Polipo button and than after a test checked
it back again.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Sun, 16 May 2010 07:52:06 -0400, Snood wrote:

On 05/16/2010 11:34 AM, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 08:35:29 +0100, AG wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> On an up-to-date testing machine, I am using Iceweasel + tor + privoxy.
>> Florian helped me with an issue like this sometime back, but revisiting
>> his helpful advice has not helped on this occasion.
>>
>> The situation is as follows:
>>
>> Using Iceweasel, I enable the tor button and receive a warning message
>> "Tor proxy test: local HTTP proxy is unreachable. Is polipo running
>> properly?"
>
> I used Ubuntu 8.04 with Firefox 3.0.19 and the same + tor + privoxy
> configuration.
>
> After upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 Firefox get upgraded to v. 3.6 and all at
> sudden I get the same error message as you describe.
>
> In my case the problem was resolved by a number of random setting
> manipulations within Tor Button Properties:
>
> - open Tor Button Properties window;
> - run Test Settings (it will fail);
> - check "Use custom proxy settings" radio button instead of the default
> "Use the recommended settings..."
> - run Test Settings (in my case it failed again)
> - check "Use the recommended settings..." back and run Test Settings
> again. At this point all at sudden I get a positive test result and
since
> than everything works just fine.
>
> I know all of it does not make much sense but in my case I get it fixed.
> Mystery. :-)
>
> It looks like this is a bug in Tor Button (or could be in FF itself?)
>
> PS. I do not remember exactly but it could be that in addition of all of
> the above I unchecked the Use Polipo button and than after a test
checked
> it back again.

> I'm sure it's possible to still use privoxy, but I believy that the Tor
> project people are recommending polipo instead.
It's better if we keep conversation in public. :-)

Currently, yes - Tor provides configuration instructions mentioning
Polipo instead of Privoxy. But just a year ago they mentioned Privoxy
instead. I do not know why is the change. As far as I know Privoxy is
superior to Polipo. Unless things changed in the last year, that I'm not
aware of.

And actually to me it does not look as a "recommendation" but rather a
promotion of one project in favour of another.

IMHO it's more some sort of "politics" than a recommendation. It's the
same as Ubuntu all at as sudden damped GIMP, Pidgin, xsane, etc in favour
of other worse and some times (like in case of Simple Scan) completely
useless applications. I do believe Canonical had their reasons. But I
also believe that they are based on the actual application virtues and
value.

I do not argue that Tor would work just fine with Polipo. I'm sure it
will. I just do not see enough reason for me or any one else to change
existing and perfectly functioning configuration, just because Tor
decided to promote Polipo.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:13:23 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> But I
> also believe that they are based on the actual application virtues and
> value.

Sorry for a typo. Read this passage as follows instead:

"But I also believe that they are NOT based on the actual application
virtues and value."

Old 05-17-2010, 05:27 PM
AG

On 16/05/10 22:13, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

[...]

This is what I found too. The IW add-on "tor button" configuration
located at

<right mouse click> Preferences/ Proxy Settings

lists 2 options:

(a) Use the recommended proxy settings for my version of Firefox (and a
checkbox is marked next to the only sub-option "Use Polipo" by default) or

(b) Use custom proxy settings

Hand on heart I could not say when this change took place as I haven't
been using IW + tor + privoxy for a while, so this came as quite a
surprise. There was a recent update to tor though, IIRC, so it may well
have been during that.

AG