Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 PM
André Wendt

Default Filesize limit exceeded on ext3

Hi,

I'm running a benchmark program on Lenny that writes into a file and
repeatedly exits once the filesize reaches 2,099,204 bytes. This is on ext3.

$ ulimit -f
unlimited

$ uname -a
Linux think 2.6.22-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:24:01 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

This doesn't seem to be a problem for other programs. I have a
VirtualBox snapshot as large as 2,587,808 bytes.

Any hints as to what's going on? Please CC me, I'm not on the list.

Thanks,
André

Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Jochen Schulz

André Wendt:

> I'm running a benchmark program on Lenny that writes into a file and
> repeatedly exits once the filesize reaches 2,099,204 bytes. This is on ext3.
>
> $ ulimit -f
> unlimited
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux think 2.6.22-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:24:01 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> This doesn't seem to be a problem for other programs. I have a
> VirtualBox snapshot as large as 2,587,808 bytes.

Are both files on the same filesystem? Which one are you using in either
case?

J.
--
In the west we kill people like chickens.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 11-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Jeff D

André Wendt wrote:

Hi,

I'm running a benchmark program on Lenny that writes into a file and
repeatedly exits once the filesize reaches 2,099,204 bytes. This is on ext3.

$ ulimit -f
unlimited

$ uname -a
Linux think 2.6.22-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:24:01 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

This doesn't seem to be a problem for other programs. I have a
VirtualBox snapshot as large as 2,587,808 bytes.

Any hints as to what's going on? Please CC me, I'm not on the list.

Thanks,
André

What testing suite are you using for this? Have you tried to use dd to
create a file larger than this? I'm going to guess what you are seeing
here is file size limit of the application you are using rather than ext3.

Jeff

Old 11-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 11-16-2007, 03:33 PM
André Wendt

Jochen Schulz wrote:
> André Wendt:
>> I'm running a benchmark program on Lenny that writes into a file and
>> repeatedly exits once the filesize reaches 2,099,204 bytes. This is on ext3.
>>
>> $ ulimit -f
>> unlimited
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> Linux think 2.6.22-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:24:01 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
>>
>> This doesn't seem to be a problem for other programs. I have a
>> VirtualBox snapshot as large as 2,587,808 bytes.
>
> Are both files on the same filesystem? Which one are you using in either
> case?

Yes, they are.

Oh, and thanks to Ron Johnson, I just realized all the sizes I mentioned
above are in *kilobytes*. DUH! ;-)

Old 11-16-2007, 03:36 PM
André Wendt

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 11/16/07 09:04, André Wendt wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I'm running a benchmark program on Lenny that writes into a file and
>> repeatedly exits once the filesize reaches 2,099,204 bytes. This is on ext3.
>
>> $ ulimit -f
>> unlimited
>
>> $ uname -a
>> Linux think 2.6.22-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:24:01 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
>
>> This doesn't seem to be a problem for other programs. I have a
>> VirtualBox snapshot as large as 2,587,808 bytes.
>
>> Any hints as to what's going on? Please CC me, I'm not on the list.
>
> 2 megabytes? Computers have been able to create 2MB files for 40 years.

Ah, thanks for mentioning that. Of course it's 2 *GB*, the sizes are in
*kilobytes*. I didn't realize 'til I read 'man du'.

> So, why are you blaming ext3 when there is *obviously* some other
> explanation?
>
> Like running out of room on the device.

I don't think so:

$ df -h | grep home
/dev/hda7 27G 21G 5,0G 81% /home

The message in the subject is what I get before the program exists. It
would be different if there's no space.

André

Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 05:33:22PM +0100, Andr?? Wendt wrote:

> >> This doesn't seem to be a problem for other programs. I have a
> >> VirtualBox snapshot as large as 2,587,808 bytes.

> Oh, and thanks to Ron Johnson, I just realized all the sizes I mentioned
> above are in *kilobytes*. DUH! ;-)

So that makes the file 2.5 GB or so. Is this an issue for ext2/3?
Isn't a DVD about 7 GB? Can't you hold the .iso for a DVD on an ext2
filesystem?

What is the real issue here?

Doug.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:01 PM
David Brodbeck

I'm running a benchmark program on Lenny that writes into a file and
repeatedly exits once the filesize reaches 2,099,204 bytes. This
is on ext3.

$ ulimit -f
unlimited
$ uname -a
Linux think 2.6.22-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:24:01 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux

This doesn't seem to be a problem for other programs. I have a
VirtualBox snapshot as large as 2,587,808 bytes.
Any hints as to what's going on? Please CC me, I'm not on the list.
Thanks,
André

What testing suite are you using for this? Have you tried to use
dd to create a file larger than this? I'm going to guess what you
are seeing here is file size limit of the application you are using
rather than ext3.

I think so too. I bet this is an old bit of code, or maybe an old
binary statically compiled against old libraries.
Both the filesystem *and* the program have to support large files
for it to work.

ext2 and ext3 haven't had a 2 gigabyte limit in a long, long time.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 11-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Ron Johnson