Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Default Etch: emacs or emac21?

Hi, Debian users.

In Sarge there was only the package `emacs21'. Now in Etch we have also
`emacs', but the difference between the two is not clear to me. What should I
install in order to use the Emacs editor, `emacs' or `emacs21'?

Thanks for any reply
Rodolfo

Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 04:58:38PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi, Debian users.
>
> In Sarge there was only the package `emacs21'. Now in Etch we have also
> `emacs', but the difference between the two is not clear to me. What should I
> install in order to use the Emacs editor, `emacs' or `emacs21'?

either one. emacs21 pulls in emacs version 21.x.x, emacs pulls in
emacs version 22.x.x

Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
"Chris Howie"

(Resending to the list.* Sorry for the duplicate, Rodolfo.)

In Sarge there was only the package `emacs21'. *Now in Etch we have also
`emacs', but the difference between the two is not clear to me. *What should I
install in order to use the Emacs editor, `emacs' or `emacs21'?

emacs is a metapackage that depends on the latest emacs.* In sarge, emacs depends on emacs21.* So you install emacs if you always want the latest version, and emacs21 if you want version 21.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers

Old 01-11-2008, 01:53 AM
"s. keeling"

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com>:

> In Sarge there was only the package `emacs21'. Now in Etch we have also
> `emacs', but the difference between the two is not clear to me. What should I
> install in order to use the Emacs editor, `emacs' or `emacs21'?

I don't have "emacs" (etch). I do have:

(0) heretic /home/keeling/procmail_ pkgs emacs | egrep '^i'
i emacs21 - The GNU Emacs editor
i A emacs21-bin-common - The GNU Emacs editor's shared, architectur
i A emacs21-common - The GNU Emacs editor's shared, architectur
i A emacsen-common - Common facilities for all emacsen

# alias pkgs='aptitude search'

FYI, "emacs" is a metapackage:

Provides: editor, emacsen, info-browser, mail-reader, news-reader

and installing "emacs" may drag in stuff you may not have intended to get.