Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
"Chris Howie"

Default Weird keymapping going on with VNC

I have a really weird issue going on with VNC.* I am running Xvnc on Debian (provided by the vncserver package) and the RealVNC client on a Windows box.* My X keymap is set to dvorak, as is my Windows one.

I wish it were as simple as a double/triple application of dvorak going on (a problem that gets annoying enough as it is) but while that does appear to be happening too, it gets more convoluted.

When I type "asdf" on the keyboard with both systems using dvorak, "azgm" shows up.* If I switch to qwerty on the 'doze box I instead get "abfh."

Now for the real fun.* When I type "1234" in either case I get "90-=".* Other notable deviations are that 5 behaves like backspace, and enter behaves like the spacebar.

I am at a complete loss how to even begin fixing this.* The numeric stuff makes it seem like 8 is being added to the keyboard scancodes somewhere, which would explain why 5 acts like backspace if keyboard scancodes are based on position instead of the ASCII chart.* (I must admit my ignorance on the topic.)* However, this idea does not make sense given that "a" registers correctly in every situation I have tried.

Ideas?
--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com