Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

Default Barcode scanner via USB

I have a WASP pen scanner that seems to be recognized by the kernel:

usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
input: Marson Wasp Barcode USBi as /class/input/input3
input: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [Marson Wasp Barcode USBi] on
usb-0000:00:03.3-1.7
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

and creates a device in dev:

/dev/input/by-id/usb-Marson_Wasp_Barcode_USBi-event-kbd

but I'm not sure how to read from it. Where is the ASCII output from the
unit going, theoretically?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 01-10-2008, 02:29 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 05:33:56PM -0800, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

> but I'm not sure how to read from it. Where is the ASCII output from
> the unit going, theoretically?

Problem resolved--sort of. You actually have to scan a control code to
tell the unit it's attached to a "notebook" even if it isn't to indicate
that it's attached via USB instead of PS/2. It will then function like a
wedge, and just output characters to the controlling TTY or xterm.

I'm still not sure how one would read from an abitrary device in this
instance, but using the proper control code seems to "just work."

Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Andrew Perrin

I have a WASP pen scanner that seems to be recognized by the kernel:

usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
input: Marson Wasp Barcode USBi as /class/input/input3
input: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [Marson Wasp Barcode USBi] on
usb-0000:00:03.3-1.7
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

and creates a device in dev:

/dev/input/by-id/usb-Marson_Wasp_Barcode_USBi-event-kbd

but I'm not sure how to read from it. Where is the ASCII output from the
unit going, theoretically?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

It's a distinct device - you should be able to read directly from that
/dev that's created when you plug it in. When in X it typically works like
a second keyboard, inserting the text wherever a keyboard's entry would
end up.

Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Associate Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA

Old 01-10-2008, 11:02 PM
steve

Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 07:02:53PM -0500, steve wrote:

> you know ive been looking for something that I could use to input upc
> data to say kbarcode or something like that. Have been trying to
> convince the company I work for to spring for handheld printers/scanner
> solution to no avail. (retail environment) not to hijack this thread
> but, any of you seen any open source solutions for say scanning a upc on
> a product, inputting a price, then printing a tag?

When I worked at Radio Shack in 1996 (in Canada), they were just
switching their POS from a dos (on a Tandy 386) with terminals to a Unix
(SCO) system with the same serial terminal. For barcode, they had a
device that went between the keyboard and the terminal. Apparently,
that way there was no software difference between manually typing in the
barcode number and scanning it. We just had to ensure that the cursor
was on the correct fiel; putting the UPC in the address field didn't
help; putting it in the VISA number field was a royal pain until they
put in valid number checking.

As for printing it out, sounds like a simple script issue.

Doug.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:57 PM
David Brodbeck

When I worked at Radio Shack in 1996 (in Canada), they were just
switching their POS from a dos (on a Tandy 386) with terminals to a
Unix

(SCO) system with the same serial terminal. For barcode, they had a
device that went between the keyboard and the terminal. Apparently,
that way there was no software difference between manually typing in
the

barcode number and scanning it.

This is called a "keyboard wedge" in the industry. They're extremely
common but they're slowly being replaced by USB devices as PS/2
keyboard ports become less common. A lot of mag stripe readers also
work this way.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:16 AM
steve