Old 01-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Rogelio

Default Debian equiv to Windows' procmon?

Being relatively new to Debian / Linux, I'm looking for equivalents to Windows tools that I'm used to.*For example, what is the "equivalent" to Window's procmon? *Something like 'ps -ef', I know, gives a basic overview of what's running, but how do you drill down and correlate that with other things, such as users, files, etc?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

It does the following (many of which, such as DLLs, aren't applicable in *nix environments).

** ** Monitoring of process and thread startup and exit, including exit status codes

* * * Monitoring of image (DLL and kernel-mode device driver) loads

* * * More data captured for operation input and output parameters

* * * Non-destructive filters allow you to set filters without losing data

* * * Capture of thread stacks for each operation make it possible in many cases to identify the root cause of an operation

* * * Reliable capture of process details, including image path, command line, user and session ID

* * * Configurable and moveable columns for any event property

* * * Filters can be set for any data field, including fields not configured as columns

* * * Advanced logging architecture scales to tens of millions of captured events and gigabytes of log data

* * * Process tree tool shows relationship of all processes referenced in a trace

* * * Native log format preserves all data for loading in a different Process Monitor instance

* * * Process tooltip for easy viewing of process image information

* * * Detail tooltip allows convenient access to formatted data that doesn't fit in the column

* * * Cancellable search

* * * Boot time logging of all operations

Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Wayne Topa

Rogelio(scubacuda@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> Being relatively new to Debian / Linux, I'm looking for equivalents to
> Windows tools that I'm used to. For example, what is the "equivalent" to
> Window's procmon? Something like 'ps -ef', I know, gives a basic overview
> of what's running, but how do you drill down and correlate that with other
> things, such as users, files, etc?

Take a look at the htop package.

Wayne

--
Linux - for those that deserve the Very Best!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM
"Paul Johnson"

On Jan 9, 2008 1:06 PM, Rogelio <scubacuda@gmail.com> wrote:
> Being relatively new to Debian / Linux, I'm looking for equivalents to
> Windows tools that I'm used to. For example, what is the "equivalent" to
> Window's procmon? Something like 'ps -ef', I know, gives a basic overview
> of what's running, but how do you drill down and correlate that with other
> things, such as users, files, etc?

Sounds like it's doing a bit of what ps does, and a bit of what lsof
does, and a little bit of grep. I suggest looking through those man
pages.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca