Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 PM
hagit

Default startx from terminal or telnet

Hi,
I have a very strange phenomenon.
I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
'startx'.
Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
I can work normally.
BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
the X doesnt run properly:
- running gnome-terminal takes a lot of time and sometimes doesnt even
run
- cant open web-browser
- when I run heavy commands on the telnet session (like big 'cp') the
X doesnt run at all (cant get a full desktop).

Did it happened to someone?
Is it something with my hardware?
Why is this happening?

I would love to hear any comments.

Thanks,
hagit

PS - same happened when I run 'startx' from terminal on another PC

Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Kent West

hagit wrote:

Hi,
I have a very strange phenomenon.
I connect to my box with telnet,

SSH is generally preferred to telnet nowadays for security reasons.

change to super user (root) and run

It's generally recommended to not run X as root. (It's generally not
recommended to run anything as root unless necessary.)

'startx'.
Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
I can work normally.

I'm unsure how you can do this. Running "startx" should leave the
command prompt inaccessible for running the next command. Now if you'd
said you were running "startx &", then it would have made more sense to me.

BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
the X doesnt run properly:

What I understand you to be saying is that you telnet in, switch to
root, run X via "startx", and then still at the command prompt which is
inexplicably still available, you run "ls" which then causes X to start
misbehaving.

I really suspect I'm not quite understanding the sequence of events.

--
Kent