Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 PM
andy

Default Power management settings for Gnome

Hi all and best for 2008!

On a Lenny desktop system, using Gnome as my DE, I am wanting to
accomplish the following:

after a pre-set period of time a screensaver comes on for a pre-set
period of time and then the monitor turns itself off/goes into
standby/sleep mode. 30 minutes for each pre-set period will be fine.

On my system this doesn't seem to be so straightforward. Under the panel
menu System and then Preferences/Screensaver, I have set the horizontal
scroll to Regard the computer as idle after 30 minutes. This part works
fine - the screensaver comes on after 1/2 hour. Using the Power
Management button in the screensaver dialog box, under the On AC Power
tab, I have Display ("Put display to sleep when inactive for:") set at 1
hour (30 min before screensaver + 30 minutes once the saver has
activated). Actions - "Put computer to sleep when inactive for:" is set
for never. I have not selected anything under the General tab.

These are my settings, but I am finding that the screensaver is running
all night. There doesn't seem to be any other way of dealing with this
at a user level in Gnome. If there is a superuser option I haven't yet
come across it.

Can someone give me a steer about setting my options directly to the
config file and which file is the one to modify.

For info - Lenny, 2.6.22-3-686, Gnome 2.20.2

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy